Strange RX

cmarf2004

Hi, im new to the sport and just got a second hand Electric Riot trainer and a Ikonnik TX/RX from 2 different sellers. Had it set up yesterday and all servos worked exept throttle. Im not sure the exact procedure, but messed about unplugging and plugging the battery/RX/TX on in several orders and eventually got the motor working by pot luck. I had a fly, then a break, and when i went to go back up, id lost throttle again.

Off with the wings and half an hour later, it seems i have to power up the TX, connect the plane battery, then disconnect then reconnect the ESC from the RX (port 3), which leads to a couple of bleeps and the motor will then work. It all seems a convaluted pain of a way to get going. Any ideas whats going on?

My friend also has a riot and no such trouble.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect you are using an incorrect start up sequence for your speed control to arm.

Correct sequence from your post above.

TX on first.

Connect battery - ESC (speed control) should make some noises.

Get your speed control instructions and read them carefully.

It may be that your speed control needs to be set to full throttle before connecting the plane battery, it beeps after connection, then the throttle is lowered to the off position and it makes more beeps.

Please, if you are testing for this sequence, remove the propeller from the motor. It will prevent the plane leaping forwards and cutting you if you have an unexpected full throttle situation.

You should not need the be messing with the ESC connection to the receiver.

Edited by Andy Gates

35 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

For the ESC to become active (arm) it has to see a minimum throttle position, it maybe that you need to move the throttle trim to minimum for the ESC to see a low enough signal to arm.

Also check that you do not have any trim on the throttle as that can lead to a signal above zero even when the throttle stick is fully closed.

This is not a receiver problem or a case of 'Strange Rx'. 

Sometimes the throttle sense can be reversed from normal (stick down= idle, stick up = max) although it does not seem to be the case on this occasion. If the throttle is reversed it will be necessary to move the throttle stick fully 'up' to arm the ESC, where upon the motor will burst into life at full power! To correct this reverse the throttle channel at the transmitter (servo reverse).

The best piece of advice here is from Andy, to remove the propeller whilst you are sorting it out.

Good luck.

Edited by Piers Bowlan