Tightening prop adaptor with motor in a cowl

So the prop adaptors that clamp up with the prop nut being tightened, how to you do them up what you cannot hold the motor body to stop the prop adaptor spinning on the motor shaft? The cowl on my P-51 doesn't give you access to hold the motor at all.

Ta

Edited by Steve_Wright

• Steve_Wright changed the title to Tightening prop adaptor with motor in a cowl

Good question!  I have no particular method, but I find that usually once the nut gets reasonably tight the friction between the prop and the prop-driver is enough to allow me to finish the tightening by holding the prop.  So far I haven't needed to try it, but maybe a disc of sandpaper glued to the face of the prop driver would help if it's too smooth to grip the prop.

• Like 1

Steve

The correct prop adapter on the correct shaft should be a 'positive' fit in other words it should require a definite push to get in on the motor shaft. Like that it will not turn when just holding the prop. Indeed when tightened it can create an interference fit on the motor shaft that can make it difficult to get it off.

If the adaptor has slipped on the motor shaft under load at any time it will wear a tiny bit and loose the correct fit. If an adapter is not a positive fit it should be replaced.