Tx, Rx and servo's

My " new radio gear" jar iOS nearly full enough, but before I "take the plunge" I need to verify a few things, with your help.

1, anyone got a radio link t8fb( bt ) set and how do you find it ?

2, how easy is it to set up ?

3, will this set work a Futaba s148 servo, which is an anoloque servo ( servodatabase, very usefully info/data )

This radio link set is within my budget, comes with 2 RX's and has a 2km range.

Radio link do not seem to make servo's ?

If the system will not work the s148 servo, I assume any modern digital servo will ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

47 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Ok, but will the Futaba s148 servo work with the t8fb(bt) tx which drives the Rx, which drives the servo ?

Sorry to be dumb, old guy and oldish servo...

Your servo gets its power from your battery

Your Rx also is powered by the battery

The servo has a microchip inside which collects and has the information to match your servo arm position with your Tx stick position.

All clever stuff

• Like 1

I do have one of those T8FB sets, but it is not what I habitually fly with. I bought it as a project to re-house the innards into a vintage Tx case, which I have not actually got around to yet!

It's OK for the money, but very basic, light weight quality. In fact, I think you would find that your old Futaba Challenger feels nicer in your hands, with better stick feel and a more solid case. Also, you need to get your head around plugging it into a PC or Android device in order to program mixes, rates, etc. It's all quite possible, but depends if that is really what you want to have to do.

On the other hand, it's hard to know what else to recommend for the price, other than look out for a decent condition secondhand Spektrum DX6i or similar.  Have you looked at what radios other local flyers are using?

If you are on a tight budget and can accept staying on 35 Mhz, I have a huge pile of the stuff which I inherited from a deceased friend. I could probably dig out a Futaba Field Force 6 for you, if you can wait a couple of weeks. I don't have an inventory in my head and would have to rummage through the pile!! Send me a PM if you are interested.

I have Radiolink AT10, both mkI & mkII. If you can run to it I would recommend the AT10II.

It comes with a 12ch rx but their 6ch rx's are not too expensive.

Very easy to update via laptop and to programme with easy to navigate screen plus 4km range.

Although more than your predicted budget it will do everything you want for a very long time.

The battery bay will take a Zippy 3s lipo too which means it will run for hours between charges.

Hi Rich

i wonder why you decided on the radio link? I have one of their earlier 6 channel sets. It works well but as they were never very popular you are limited to where you can buy parts and receivers from.

why not take a look at the Flysky I6. £40 for tx and receiver, a solid link and good range. Receivers are cheap and plentiful. I put 4 eneloop batteries in mine and charge it twice a year.

Edited by Doug Campbell

Hi Rich,

I bought a RadioLink T8FB a year or so ago to use with my diesel powered models (I didn't want to get diesel fuel over my 'posh' transmitters).

The construction is a bit 'plasticky', but the stick feel isn't bad for a cheap radio. Programming it is a bit of a pain though as it can't be done on the transmitter, you have to plug it into a computer.

So far it's worked without any problem, but I can't say it get used a lot. 

1 hour ago, John T said:

Hi Rich,

I bought a RadioLink T8FB a year or so ago to use with my diesel powered models (I didn't want to get diesel fuel over my 'posh' transmitters).

The construction is a bit 'plasticky', but the stick feel isn't bad for a cheap radio. Programming it is a bit of a pain though as it can't be done on the transmitter, you have to plug it into a computer.

So far it's worked without any problem, but I can't say it get used a lot. 

Given that I can't see why anyone would choose it over the Radiomaster T16SE (~£80) or the smaller TX12 (~£60). Both have 16 channels out of the box and huge functionality that can be configured from either the TX or OpenTX Companion software on a computer. They can also both can use a decent selection fo receivers including Frsky, Hitec, Futaba S-FHSS and Radiolink (though you'll have to pay ~£125 if you want the full 4 in 1 multiproticol module version of the T16S that can do almost every protocol under the sun!). The T16 models even have a large colour screen.

Edited by MattyB

I agree Matty, I think that's what I would do if I was in that particular market now.

When I bought the T8FB I wasn't aware of the Radiomaster equipment, in fact I'm not even sure if it was around then. Although it works ok I think you can do better for not very much more money now.