Easycoat Covering

Tony H

Hi All,

I have just been trying to cover my plane with Easycoat and it is awful stuff the white is almost transparant and the dark blue coloured glue has smeared on the white. Unlike Solarfilm which you could use Metholated Spirit to get the covering off colour off the other covering this does not work with this awful stuff.

Does anyone know how to remover the coloured glue from the lighter colour?

I have persevered with the Easycoat covering and have nearly finished but it really isn't good stuff, the white is see through and the glue backing needs a very specific amount of heat which is hard to keep the iron at. It seems to work best at about 110-115c. I wouldn't recommend the covering material, I just hope it can stand up to an IC planes oil and won't peel off in flight as the glue seems to be very weak. The dark blue colour I have is a nice colour and went on ok, the covering seems to work better with darker colours. I used silver instead of white to cover the wing which was a little hit and miss, it went on ok..ish but you get different colour swirls (where you move the coloured glue around under the film with the iron) where the coloured glue has stuck and soaked into the wood.

It's not like Solar film, Solar film has coloured glue underneath too but it doesn't seem to change the colour or delaminate in the same way. It is also much stronger adhesive with Solar film, the down side of Solar film is it sag in the sun and its hard to recover planes because of the coloured glue.

I was asked by a club member if I could re cover an old cub for him that  he had bought off  of eBay. He supplied  the covering , yellow easy coat seconds. Not good ! The adhesive was fickle and didn't seem consistent, perhaps that's why is was sold as seconds.  It also had areas,  small scrapes where the colour and adhesive were extremely thin and showed on the surface. Eventually finished the job  but won't use it again . 

• 2 years later...

Easycover is a load off rubbish with the heat off Ur fingers the colour comes of it's to thin best place for it is the bin fortunately I only done half of the elevator so a waste of £45 on three rolls they were seconds never used so much rubbish.

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Welcome to the forum. You should be able to edit your posts for a few minutes after posting but I've amended this one and deleted the correction you posted.