Hawker P1052 the swept wing Sea Hawk.

I must be barmy but I have decided to build a P1052.  Strictly it should be the P1052 as there is only one and it still exists 'in storage' at RNAS Yeovilton.

P1052c.thumb.jpg.4f098682eccb794250e74a5d8799168e.jpg

3 were built (2 to fly, 1 for structural testing) however after the first was flown structural testing suggested the rear fuselage in particular needed strengthening. As a result the second  P1052 (although it had flown) was given a completely new rear fuselage with single 'straight through' exhaust. It was renamed the P1081. The removed rear fuselage was suitably strengthened and retro fitted to the first P1052.

Basically a standard Sea Hawk fuselage with smaller span swept wings. With an arrestor hook added is actually undertook carrier landing trials on HMS Eagle in 1952. At a later stage a swept tail plane was added.

The inlet duct on my Sea Hawk has a very restricted path so to take account of the rearward CofP movement from the swept wings I decided to move the EDF aft to allow a better inlet duct geometry and accept the small loss from a shorter 'trouser' exhaust duct, otherwise the fuselage would be built identically to the Sea Hawk.

The 'long inlet' P1052 duct with a new 55 mm EDF.

DuctCmplt1.JPG.38be0586a51344870f4f69425a62a027.JPG

Now I have just got to build another fuselage to fit it into.

• Like 1

Just a quick update. I tested the duct and to my surprise it was sucking so hard that it started to 'pull in' the flat areas of the inlet.

Obviously the sharp edge is far from ideal both for flow and stiffness.

To overcome the problem I printed a 5mm radius bell mouth to fit the inlet. Mainly for stiffness but it should also improve the flow. 

BellMouth.JPG.e8471c96a3591f5db9e29ae7130a769a.JPG

With this in place on both inlets the thrust rose to 410 g and it was still not at quite full power. I chickened out going any further simply because with the bare duct there is not much to hold on to!  Note the Sea Hawk duct with a similar EDF peaked at only 350 g.

• Like 3

The start of the foam build

The centre section half shell with the duct inserted half way in.

DuctIn.JPG.7b74197e50acef89ff41d30ffd0a8fc9.JPG.

It was only at this stage I realised the former location had been set up for the original Sea Hawk duct The different shape of the p1052 inlet duct mean some rather drastic former 'adjustment'

Got there in the end though.

Next is to add the other half of the formers and some more planking.

• Like 1

The centre section substantially complete.

FuseCntr1.JPG.78fe924a802292218c4783caf5bfc790.JPG'

The motor wires have been brought forward to allow the ESC to be mountedin the cockpit wall just ahead of the RH intake.

The underside of the wing root has been left open to allow the aileron and elevator servo wires to be run through the centre section but before that happens the wings and tail section have to be built first.?

WingPlan.jpg.a4a8085dba8c2594ac60532da4f5a90f.jpg

As for the Sea Hawk they will be just 5 mm top and bottom skins with no spar just two XPS shear webs. 

The wing itself is pretty simple just top and bottom 5 mm XPS skins flexed around two XPS shear webs to give a streamlined semi symmetrical wing section.

By far the biggest task is sanding down the inside of the rear portion of each 5mm thick skin give a fine 2mm trailing edge.

TrailEdge.JPG.bd579c84f7b3263472eec03c20721f7a.JPG

The aileron servos are let in through the underside and glued in place and the skin made good. 

AilServo.JPG.9701aa65b2dbf208fe9061e72f633871.JPG

The aileron servo wire funs through each fuselage former to where the cockpit will be.

Edited by Simon Chaddock

With both wings added but the underside of the wing roots left open

Wings1.JPG.07f621698201366707be7adcda49c781.JPG

It is time to start the rear fuselage. This will ultimately include the elevator servo so before the tail is fixed on its wire has to lead through all the centre section formers. Only then can the skin on the wing root be completed.

With everything but the battery and rx permanently built in the sequence of the construction is important as indeed are these construction pictures as you can work out exactly where things are if you even need to cut them out. ?

Making slow progress on this one but the rear fuselage is complete and glued on to the centre section.

RearFuse4.JPG.63f4f6dce11e64fd1649465ad2154b64.JPG

It actually a rather better fit that I did for the Sea Hawk where I had to adjust quite a bit of the upper rear fuselage to achieve a smooth top line.

Perhaps you do get better doing the same again.

Tail feathers next. Fin/rudder are the same as the Sea Hawk but the tail plane is quite a bit smaller and swept back 30 degrees.

• Like 3

The tail feathers added.

Tail2.JPG.f2f87daa1f18788dada8a0ba76ac5bcc.JPG

The next issue is how to operate the elevators from a single servo which is already mounted in the fin under the tail plane with the servo arm protruding on the right side.

So far all the attractive and mechanically efficient ways of doing it all seem to involve ether moving the servo into the fuselage or simply using two servos, one for each elevator half.

Obviously I should have worked out how I was going to move the swept elevators before I built in the servo. ☹️

Still thinking.

Eventually solved the elevator problem by adopting the 'dirtiest' geometry but it works well enough.

ElevLink1.thumb.JPG.fabe2571a7c661b7764602615c9cb773.JPG

A single rod from the servo to one elevator half which is extended through the fin to the other horn. Due to the angled hinge lines it relies on 'give' in both of the horn bearings towards the travel extremes. It also needs a circular 'slot' cutting in what would be the rudder, if it moved!

ElevLink2.jpg.567608ef37b7b01224f55787d59e8bf2.jpg  

Just as well it is a lightweight.

So its onto the fuselage nose section which should be identical to the Sea Hawk so there should be no problems. We shall see.

• Like 2

The cockpit canopy is first built in situ.

Canopy1.JPG.3fc65223ba7a22e3b5659029ccc97f3f.JPG

And then cut free.

Canopy3.JPG.eea686e2d402f177760f099a5f3e6bf9.JPG

note the offset hatch shape to allow the battery to be placed left of centre to counter the weight of the ESC on the right cockpit wall.

With the canopy hatch complete painting can be started. Sky blue underside first. Two coats of match pot emulsion.

A Lemon stab Rx fitted but not yet connected up.

A bit of a story behind this.

The Lemon stab uses the Aux1 channel to switch the gyro on/off. The Spectrum DX6i uses Aux 2 for the left hand aileron in its 'dual ail' setup so Aux1 is available, however my new Hobbyking TX6i uses Aux1 for 'dual ail' so the Lemon gyro is disabled. It took me some time to identify what was happening.

If and when the P1052 proves to be a good flyer I will replace the gyro Rx with a basic 6 channel so the Hobby King TX6i can be used.       

• Like 1

All credit to the air ministry for ordering the 3 prototypes but it did rather show that with the large diameter of RR Nene just adding swept wings did not take it much further into the transonic region. By the time it was flying in its final configuration with the swept tail in 1953 it maximum speed was still no faster than the Sea Hawk. In reality the speed was limited by the critical Mach characteristics of the portly fuselage rather than the wings, be they swept or not.

What tends to be over looked is that the fantastically successful Mig 15, which was a transonic jet, did so using the same RR Nene, albeit unlicensed, courtesy of samples with full technical details exported to the USSR by RR at the request of the 1948 Labour government. A decision likely influenced by the initial P1052 results which showed the Nene was not a transonic capable jet engine. Stalin of course ignored the associated manufacturing license!  

• Like 2

The completed P1052.

Complete1.JPG.cfb779ce778d88803b17841d9749f226.JPG

Complete2.JPG.0f2998c719eb6b493038e7b50651b09d.JPG

To my relief it flies nearly as well as the Sea Hawk but noticeably faster so you have to concentrate a bit more.

It has a significantly better thrust to weight ratio due to a better fan (the motor is the same), improved ducting, and a smaller lighter 1500 mAh battery yet with better throttle management the flight duration is the same (about 5 minutes) but the extra thrust does allow it a "party" piece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPX54hVu1Xg

I also found a You Tube video of the P1052 flying at the 1949 SBAC Farnborough Air Show. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3J73O03IGM&t=300s

The P1051 bit is from 6:37 to 7:01.

It was still in a prototype paint scheme and with the original 'straight' Sea Hawk tail plane.

There is also another very short clip of it at 7:41 to 7:44 inadvertently included in the Supermarine 510 (Swift prototype) clips.

I am such a nerd!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

The repairs underway after its 'excursion' and retrieval at the DVMFC at the Bank Holiday fly in.

28Aug21a.JPG.bc073bbfc06fcfbbd00d75baeffeab41.JPG

28Aug21b.JPG.248a3d8dedb25bbfb09086a24a176c2a.JPG

It always looks alarming when you cut away such damage to give something you can work with.

03Sep21a.JPG.8a829762f15abba2ff193bc224a63d34.JPG 

Virtually cut through half the wing chord and the most important part too!

New skin inserted.

03Sep21b.JPG.77c290e2496456297ed0dc4eb49f2ee0.JPG

You just have to trust that the thick skin butt joint will be as strong as the original! ?

• Like 2