Radiomaster R84 Frequency tuning.

Hi Guys, one for the radio gurus out there.

I have an old JR transmitter (2610) which I have converted to 2.4 using a Frsky DHT hack module. Looking round for a micro receiver to match, chanced on the Radiomaster R84.

Side note, ordered from HobbyRC yesterday, came through my letterbox this morning. Well done HobbyRC and Royal mail.

Anyway, bound up to the transmitter very easily, and working fine. Yet to do a range check, waiting for rain to stop.

So far, so good, however.....

In with the receiver was a note marked 'WARNING'. D8 and D16 receivers MUST be frequency fine tuned before flight.

The screenshot on this note would seem to be of a Transmitter running OpenTX, and does indicate D16 mode.

As far as I can tell my FrSky modules do not have a frequency tune option, so where do I go from here?

Range check, I'm sure, will tell me more, but I would like to know if this step is necessary with my set up.

Over to you

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

...I have an old JR transmitter (2610) which I have converted to 2.4 using a Frsky DHT hack module. Looking round for a micro receiver to match, chanced on the Radiomaster R84.

...Anyway, bound up to the transmitter very easily, and working fine. Yet to do a range check, waiting for rain to stop.

So far, so good, however.....

In with the receiver was a note marked 'WARNING'. D8 and D16 receivers MUST be frequency fine tuned before flight.

The screenshot on this note would seem to be of a Transmitter running OpenTX, and does indicate D16 mode.

As far as I can tell my FrSky modules do not have a frequency tune option, so where do I go from here?

Range check, I'm sure, will tell me more, but I would like to know if this step is necessary with my set up.

No, that is just a (badly worded) instruction that applies to radios that use the multiprotocol module (like Radiomaster's own models the TX16 and TX12). Your DHT module does not have that feature (though If they'd included that it would have helped optimise things to give even more range). 

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, thanks for your help.

Graeme

Sorry I missed your thread first time around. Read it right through now and it seems we have a very similar issue. Also we have both come to the same conclusion, that if we do not have the frequency tune option, just fly it anyway.

MattyB

Thanks for your input.

Everything I have read seems to point to this being an issue with MPM units. Also a post from Mike Blandford says that Frsky modules use a very accurate RF chip.

What I conclude from this is that it seems to be the CC2500 chip that's at fault, so perhaps the FrSky modules do not use this chip.

Either way, I am quite happy to go to range checking, and see what I get.

One interesting point.

I have genuine FrSky receivers in the fleet, both 7 and 8 channel. On occasion these have proved to be a bother to bind, sometimes needing several goes.

Pleasantly surprised to find that the R84 bound instantly, no issues. Range check will tell for sure, but so far pretty impressed.

More to follow

Jeff

Hi Guys

Heath Robinson lives!!!!!

Generally, when I'm down the field I'm on my own, so no-one to help with a range check.

Enter a bit of lateral thinking.

I clamped a servo down to a bit of board, taped a rod to the servo arm, and a bit of masking tape on the end for visibility.

Instant self test equipment.

Out to the drive outside my house and the results were pretty impressive. In range check mode, the DHT instructions say 30 mtrs or so. I got out to 80 mtrs and still had control, so signs of jittering or loss of signal.

Given this was a thumbnail sized receiver, and only cost peanuts, good enough for me.

Proves, if nothing else, that fine tuning the RF signal is not necessary, even it it was possible.

Bought from here, even the 6 channel receiver is only £14.39. Bargain in my book.

Jeff