Wings n Wheels 2021

Who went today?

What did you think?

Always subjective depending on your taste(s) in models, displays, commentary and the 'back-line' of traders, foodstuffs etc.

Personally pretty good considering what we've all been through ... nuff said on that matter.

Getting in and out was no problem though the M25 & M11 on the way, seem full of (bigger) pot holes now!

Very little 'ordinary/club' models displaying, all big scale, jets, aerobats and tik-tok helis, very cleverly flown but after a while .....? Meh ... Next please ... 

Traders seemed to be doing good business e.g.  SLEC were shipping balsa & ply fast out their tent!

Bring 'n Buy always popular had some nice and some not-so-nice airframes on offer.

Weather, pretty good though winds were at times challenging across the runway.

Displays were, in the light of tragic show accidents and of course CAA rules & regs, made further away from the crowd line.

Overall though pleased to see fellow modellers enjoying themselves once again.

• Like 2

A bit of a shadow of its former self with many of the usual traders missing, but understandable I suppose. Got most of what I wanted but nobody selling APC props other than second hand: also no brass tubing or piano wire to be found. Got what I hope to be a good engine from the B&B though, and was at last able to restock with fuel.

I found the site map to be a little confusing.

Will be back next year, hopefully flying there again.

• Like 1

Yes, I thought it was pretty good under the circumstances. Very good turnout from the punters, and the bring and buy was very well stocked, although some of the prices seemed very optimistic. I actually enjoyed watching jets etc. that I don't normally see at the club field. I think normal club size models would have looked very small at the distance they have to display at now. All in all a good day, which at many times felt "normal".

Echoing above; trade was a bit light but possible better than I feared. Got some nice soft balsa for a project that stalled, and picked up a cheap FASST receiver, so good there.

The flying was good, but agree that the smaller models were rather lost. Loved the big P47 though.

The highlight was to be able to spend the day with fellow forumites and Warbirds/ banter enthusiasts. That, as they say, is priceless...

Graham

i sat out this one for a multitude of reasons but i too hope to fly there again next year. 

The discussion about display items is always the same. Some want to see club models they can actually buy, sort of like a flying shop window. Some want to see the sorts of aspirational models beyond most clubs flying. Getting the right balance is always difficult as club models often look pathetic at show distances (as already mentioned) and who would pay money to watch an acrowot? 

When we had the gathering of 1/4 Stampes at WW in 18 and 19 there was an idea to use them as a flying advert for slec as slec now kit the model and had them for sale. old DB sound was very good at this sort of thing but the new chap less so. 

Perhaps the show needs to decide exactly what it is. Is it a flying shop window, a trade show where you can see something fly, decide you fancy a bit of that, and the commentator tells you where to go and buy one. Or, is the show purely for entertainment and just watching the models go by. 

My understanding was they were trying to head in the trade show direction, which is think is a good thing as it might provide a little more focus on the flying side. 

Not for me this year and to be honest,  I've seen and enjoyed W&W at it's peak some years ago and don't feel the journey, cost and what it has to offer now is worth my while. Pleased that those who did go had a good day though.

I think the only ones I'll visit in future when the dust settles will be LMA Cosford and the Nats if we get them back.

Edited by Cuban8

I was just desperate to get out to a show for the first time since the 2019 Nats, and enjoyed it more than I expected. I do like to see models that I can afford and buy demonstrated, but I agree with Jon that with the distance to the flight line, you need big models to put on a show. Besides, most artfs on sale are reviewed on YouTube!

• Like 1

I went on the Sunday and the weather initially was a little on and off but improved as the day progressed. Yes the trade show was a little light but that was to be expected, what really got me was the prices of the food vendors who were trying to recoup their losses in one weekend from 18 months of lockdown, I mean £5 for one bacon roll, come on that was just blatant attempt at profiteering in my view, and that was the cheapest items on offer. (Rant over). I think that the organisers did a good job to put on any kind of show at all so was quite happy that I attended. The bring and buy was well run as usual and I picked up a couple of bargains from that which actually made the visit worthwhile, lets hope that next year will be better with more time to organise the weekend, but well done W & W for what you put on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve Gilbey said:

I went on the Sunday and the weather initially was a little on and off but improved as the day progressed. Yes the trade show was a little light but that was to be expected, what really got me was the prices of the food vendors who were trying to recoup their losses in one weekend from 18 months of lockdown, I mean £5 for one bacon roll, come on that was just blatant attempt at profiteering in my view, and that was the cheapest items on offer. (Rant over). I think that the organisers did a good job to put on any kind of show at all so was quite happy that I attended. The bring and buy was well run as usual and I picked up a couple of bargains from that which actually made the visit worthwhile, lets hope that next year will be better with more time to organise the weekend, but well done W & W for what you put on.

What was the bacon to bread ratio? Crispy? Fatty rind? Brown sauce, ketchup or mustard? If those factors are good then maybe £5 is not totally horrendous.

14 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

What was the bacon to bread ratio? Crispy? Fatty rind? Brown sauce, ketchup or mustard? If those factors are good then maybe £5 is not totally horrendous.

Obviously not expecting any customers from Yorkshire, or Scotland.   :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Steve Gilbey said:

The price of food and drink at many events is usually in the rip-off market. An ice cream cornet that will be under £2 at the seaside is £5.50 from one of the vendors at Duxford Airshows, yet I've seen people buying half a dozen at a time for their family and not blink an eyelid so that does encourage high prices.  Duxford will charge high site costs to vendors who pass that cost on to the public. I'd grit teeth and pay up so as not to disappoint my young grandchildren of course. As usual, one pays what one thinks is reasonable or maybe to hell with the cost for a one off treat. A £5 bacon roll at W&W (£8 at Duxford IIRC) is obviously rediculous when you think that the materials to make it (bought in bulk at cash and carry prices) only come to a few pennies at most but the cost of everything else soon bumps it up. Pay it and encourage them or go without.

Before you-know-what, the other half and myself had a day trip to the Science Museum in Kensington, a place that was notorious for its previously apalling catering standards and highway robbery prices. Not so when we went, a very pleasant cold lunch for two with large excellent coffees came to £15! So not all bad on the food and refreshment front.

Edited by Cuban8

Went on Saturday and had a great day, i never spend ages watching the flying at shows but did enjoy the GeeBee slots and the large warbirds always put on a good show. Great to see the trade tents doing a lot of business and most of them looked to be busy all day. Picked up a Spitfire kit from the Cambrian Models stand and odds and sods from several of the others plus snagged a couple of nice models from the bring and buy. Wings & Wheels is one i go to every year though each year up to now has been with my flying buddy John who sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago. That made it feel a bit strange this year but was helped by the move of the show to a different area of the airfield from the usual bring and buy mound, as we spent many a happy hour wandering round the top of that hill looking for a bargain. So pleased for the organisers that  the weather was kind and it seemed like there were a lot of people paying to get in. Well done to the organising club.............M

• Like 1

I went with my Son Saturday and tbh we enjoyed it. The weather was superb and relocation to the top end I think worked a treat.

While I would agree it was not on the scale of some past events, it was a brilliant experience considering we are still fighting our way out of a pandemic that effectively stopped shows for some 18 months and people are also having to be wary. Top mark's to all concerned with the show from pilots, traders, organisers and spectators as it was as close to being back to some normality. It also gave people the chance to catch up with old friends.

I would  agree that while we see the wow factor models it would be good to see some diversity with some of our more standard models that we see around our clubs too, and maybe a few fun slots.

All that said I still think it was a great day out with my Son who added several more models to his wishlist.

• Like 1

not sure if it has been declared before but many traders are not visiting shows as they have little/nothing to sell. I believe Ripmax are in hibernation and getting hold of stuff is not easy at the moment. I suspect things will grow next year. 

Don`t know what is going on with this site but the last couple of replies I made were saved but not sent; anyway the gist of them.

I agree that the flight line was much too far away to see much, far further than any show guidelines I have seen. Will take binoculars next time.

Did not bother with any grub since last time I got a sausage in a very stale bun for about £6 but glad too see that the rip off bar merchants from the previous two shows had been replaced by one which actually had real ale for £4 pt.

I was a little surprised that many well known traders were not there; Sarik have been bombarding me with ads for it but no show. Balsa Cabin, Nexus, Rapid R/C, Overlander etc all seem to have plenty of stock on line and I was expecting to be able to buy from them in person for my £15 entry but alas no.

Yes, Rapid RC say on their website that they are not attending any shows this year. A shame, but you can understand the reluctance to be in a confined space with lots of customers. 

It will be interesting to see what happens next year, as all indications are that this thing will still be around and at some point we have to just learn to live with it.

Regarding catering, I never use it, just make my own lunch at home and take a cool box. 

I visited WW on Saturday. For me the purpose of the visit is shopping plus it’s good to meet some old friends. 
Obviously it was extremely tough for retailers to visit this year but a number did manage it to their credit. SLEC and Component Shop and a few others were there albeit with reduced stock.

With the demise of high street model shops demand for retailers at events is surely likely to increase. When possible many of us like to actually visit the supplier.  I have to admit that watching the flying at model events is not high up on my list. 
This year I noticed a number of model boat clubs at WW and it was good to see them there and visit their stands. 

On 28/06/2021 at 22:13, Wilco Wingco said:

I had a couple of their bacon baps with onions. Lots of bacon and not too pricey at £5.00, however £2 for a 50p can of coke I did think was taking the mick. And yes I am a Yorkshire man. 

Last time I went, I had an AMAZING paella from one of the vans. Worth the cost of admission alone.