Precedent T240 Repair and Re-engine

cymaz

On 13/07/2021 at 13:57, J D 8 said:

Has the pilot been " Bidon " his time to fly again ? ?

Don't know how those here feel but among fellow modelers we felt the 240 was not as good a flyer as the 180.  However that may have been because they just did not have enough engine fitted. To small for the petrol's available at the time and big glows were pricy.   Not a problem for you I recon.

That's interesting. I liked my Thunder Tiger 91 powered T240 but thought that a colleague's T180 was unresponsive.

Radio Queen and T240 at Forton.JPG

Last jobs of the day before work tomorrow ?

Made a Rx tray and began the task of routing the servo wires, hiding then from view, ( the aileron and flap servo wires that enter the cabin will be in tiny ducting...all being well).

Set about sorting out the elevator push rods ( they are installed upside down as well as the rudder servo).

2A223027-6483-4227-B281-DDF432945E27.jpeg

1525EA55-50FB-4C11-80A8-9F6EA8AD5754.jpeg

8D925D51-89F8-4BEC-BA0A-0877B8590A7F.jpeg

B5D03DCB-AF7E-4A6F-BCF7-EB24465CEE97.jpeg

Our club had one years ago and it had a OS 90 Surpass fitted .I looked after it and maintained it for a few years  giving quite a few newcomers a taste of rc flying.. Flew very well and even carried a toffee bomb load of around half a kilo. The engine had been loaned to the club by our Secretary and he eventually wanted it back . It was re engined with a sc 108 2s . Still flew very well and would do mild aerobatics. Make sure the wing struts are anchord well as they are working struts. Also baffle the cowling or your engine will overheat. It seems the shape allows air flow to miss the engine unless baffled .Club eventually sold it as nobody would look after it and I really needed the room. ?.

Beer cans would also  have been appropriate , twice the enjoyment ?.

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 4 weeks later...

Covering begins today!!

I ended up doing 6 coats of thinners and non- shrink dope . 2 coats of 50:50, light sand, 2 coats of 50:50, then 2 coats of 25 thinners: 75 dope.

Brian came over and gave me a guide on how to cover with ripstop nylon as I’m a complete novice.

Please forgive me if you know how to do it....

• 6 coats of dope (above) seems good to me. If you have a semi gloss covering of dope that will do
  • cut your nylon with 1” spare all around
  • I’ve placed  the covering over the underside of the wing ( as an example). Pin it down starting at the root and on every rib keeping the weave straight in both directions 
  • apply thinners ( I used a 1/2” brush) and really soak it in, again start at the root. 
  • I used an on bank card. This means that you can really work the softened dope into the weave. Apply only gentle pressure-you don’t want to shift the nylon 
  • work one bay at a time, apply the thinners to the next bay - then remove the pins.
  • If your used to solartex then use the same method of doing corners etc
  • the thinners only takes 10-15 secs to flash off. Once this happens your done.

I’m doing all the undersides first. There is more preparation for the completed edges and tightening of the nylon.....I will post this later. The picture shows the underside of the horizontal stab

21885420-B282-4BE3-BB13-E6069E73BADA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a steamer that was used for wallpaper stripping. After some practice each side of the open structures were steamed then immediately blasted with a hot air gun.

The nylon immediately shrunk. Thankfully no warps have happened. Everything then covered in 3 coats of 50:50 shrinking dope/ thinners.

At some point over the next few days I’ll clean up all the edges and then apply the last 2-3 coats of 50:50 non-shrinking dope/thinners.

Its then ready for paint. Just a simple 2k gloss white all over by my man Anthony. This should only cost me some bottles of wine and a case of Stella.

As the weather is currently 4c and very windy, her Ladyship has allowed me into the kitchen to work....( she doesn’t know it yet, M’Lady is at work ? ).

Made and installed new pins in the hinges. Suddenly it’s coming together. Now I can apply a couple of coats of 50:50 non-shrink dope to fill the weave.

Found the servo hatches for the ailerons and flaps. Next job install pushrods and set up throws.

9B1ED79A-941D-44C9-B9FF-BB17C59B5EF8.jpeg

0D8327BC-8024-40E1-8D29-5091DF317297.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve finished just before the F1 highlights are on.......now I know the result ( it was on the radi?), is it worth it?

Anyway, I drag this renovation kicking and screaming to it’s inevitable conclusion, excellent progress made.

Just a few nuts to check, tighten and glue up and M’lady has new clothes. I think it’s going to be called Dave though, after the previous owner. ( He is no cross dresser)