Repairing Depron/EPS

A wee question.

I have small boxy (B&Q EPS) Depron fuselage broken mid- length to repair  (grr- boohoo!)  Fairly clean break. 

Should I use Epoxy for the joints, or would POR be strong enough?  I was thinking internal reinforcement EPS sheet bonded with POR, and epoxy for butting the edges?  Or could/should I just use POR for eveything- would it be strong enough for the butted edges?

I use UHU-POR much more as a contact adhesive these days and it is excellent in that role. In this case I'd be inclined to use POR as you describe and to fit an internal depron doubler over the repair and tape it up whilst it sets. The joint should be every bit as strong as the depron itself, provided there isn't too much compression damage to the depron. It was a very hefty arrival, so I'd be checking for that level of deformation -once the depron is creased and deformed it's structural integrity might be compromised and definitely worth fitting a doubler. The model flies superbly and can easily carry the little bot of extra weight that a doubler would add.

• 1 month later...
On 28/06/2021 at 12:03, Tosh McCaber said:

A wee question.

I have small boxy (B&Q EPS) Depron fuselage broken mid- length to repair  (grr- boohoo!)  Fairly clean break. 

Should I use Epoxy for the joints, or would POR be strong enough?  I was thinking internal reinforcement EPS sheet bonded with POR, and epoxy for butting the edges?  Or could/should I just use POR for eveything- would it be strong enough for the butted edges?

I had a problem with a tip on my foamy acrowot breaking off.  I tried gluing with POR but that didn’t hold for long.  I then tried clear tape as well over the break and that was better.  But my permanent solution was to push in a pin made with thin carbon fibre rod through the trailing edge.  I did the same on the unbroken side for strength and balance.

Nigel

UHU POR dries but does not dry hard. This can be an advantage as you can usually pull a joint apart without damage even after a week. After a month or more the chances are joint is as strong as the Depron.

On this basis I have found that a Depron 'field' repair is limited to low stress areas unless the joint can be securely taped over, preferably with a fabric reinforced tape.

When time allows a local Depron doubler over the joint to be used then given a bit of time it be as strong as the original.

For example

18 July 2018 after a cartwheel arrival! Right wing tip touched first.

18Jul18.JPG.3dc6b728a42df4b722cf51afad3a9906.JPG

The following day.

19Jul18.JPG.5dae84296566afe4b147931e2285e1be.JPG

No reinforcement anywhere just an internal 2mm thick Depron doubler (same as the skin) over the flat area of the break with a bit of white paint to tidy it all up.

It is still around 3 yeas later.