Car indicators

Martin  McIntosh

When I was a motor biker I used to find that some people waiting at junctions would look at you, or towards you, even making eye contact, then just pull out whatever.

I stopped biking after some numpty wandered across from the opposite carriageway into my path then swerved away at the last moment. If his intention was to frighten me, he certainly succeeded

Remember that the country has been in lock down so the vast majority have forgotten how to drive, that is if they knew how to drive in the first place !

As a biker I look the the wheels of the car etc. at junctions, they tell me more than the lifeless eyes of the driver.

I work on the assumption that every other road  user is trying to kill me, especially when I am on the bike.

Always expect the unexpected and have an escape route.

Easy words to say in rural Wales, driving in England is abismal in my experience.

Bikers ( I mean all year round motorcyclists not "rebel weekenders" ) make far better car drivers.

Always expect the unexpected...rotating wheel trims but tyre not rotating ...until the car moves...

I do make eye contact then look at the wheels out if the corner of my eye, a scanning procedure...but then again I live in a relatively calm traffic area.

It's totally different in towns and cities, and in large urban areas.

On 01/07/2021 at 21:15, Geoff S said:

Well, they used to let us out of school early because of fog (early 1950s) when the bus conductors were walking in front of the bus to guide the driver and fog so thick, as a pedestrian, you could walk into a lamp post.  There were terrible mass vehicle pile ups on the M1 near us near Trowel services because of dense fog.  It's never that bad now. 

Geoff

I've had to walk in front of my Dad's car when I was a kid as the smog was terrible, with almost zero visibility and a choking sulphurous smell and taste.

On 30/06/2021 at 09:14, Peter Christy said:

And of course, on BMWs and Audis the indicators remain an optional extra...

?

--

Pete

Worse than that is the current fashion for minscule indicators on cars, -Kia or Hyundai spring to mind.

7 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

Crossing at  the green man not long ago the wife said some thing which made me half turn towards her just as a car overtook one which had already  stopped  . Missed us by inches and  carried on at thirty. Lesson? don't let the wife speak as you cross the road, just concentrate on the job.

Good luck with that one!  ?  LOL

However it is vital to check for cyclists behind the cars that stop -because few cyclists 'round our way take any notice - both children and adults going through red lights seems the normal thing to do

On 30/06/2021 at 12:53, Martin McIntosh said:

BMWs we all know about but lay off Audis, I drive one.

My Audi has indicators too but I'm about to retire it. I checked that the new-to-me Alfa Romeo also has them.

Having used bicycles in traffic quite a lot has made me a  bit paranoid at crossings. I'd like to think that it has also encouraged me to pay attention when driving.

On the visibility of bikers issue, I had a marketing email from one of the big motorcycling stores yesterday pushing their new range of camouflage designer bike clothing. I kid you not and couldn't believe what I was reading. Might look 'cool' to some, but cammo does work and if you've flown your model Spitfire or whatever against a background of trees or highground you'll known only too well that the model can 'disappear' for a heartstopping few moments. Depending on the lighting conditions, my BT Spit does just that when coming in over quite a high hedge at one of our field's boundaries.

Must have saved ground attack pilots from anti-aircraft fire to some degree, but not what you need at a motorcyclist.

It always helps to have been a preyed species. Sharpens up awareness after a time. 
Bit like when a dozy young hare, enjoying life appears on the dog walks, and I cast my eyes over it trying to work out if it would roast, or needs to be braised. 

3 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

On the visibility of bikers issue, I had a marketing email from one of the big motorcycling stores yesterday pushing their new range of camouflage designer bike clothing. I kid you not and couldn't believe what I was reading. Might look 'cool' to some, but cammo does work and if you've flown your model Spitfire or whatever against a background of trees or highground you'll known only too well that the model can 'disappear' for a heartstopping few moments. Depending on the lighting conditions, my BT Spit does just that when coming in over quite a high hedge at one of our field's boundaries.

Must have saved ground attack pilots from anti-aircraft fire to some degree, but not what you need at a motorcyclist.

Arrrrrrr, but have they a sister company doing biker coffins. Marketing people are very clever