I see lots of people using this section...

Rich Griff

5w's & H format for simplicity

Who - Owner

What - Home built Grumpy Tiger Cub

Where - At home club flying field just outside boundary, model ended up in field sitting on top of crop  

When - 01Jun2021 approx 18:30 hrs

Why - Main/RX lipo and battery cover departed from model, control remained until close to ground due to separate UBEC/2xESC set up 

How - Lipo overcame retaining velcro strap and magnetic battery hatch to depart from model following inverted flight

Who - Club member

What - Sebart

Where - At club 

When - 01Jun2021 (afternoon)

Why - Loss of telemetry and RX while in dive inside flying field.  recovered at point of impact

How - Possible ESC UBEC, switch or connection failure

Is this what the OP wanted? 

PS can a mod change the title?

• Sad 1

Good info...

So suspect velcro ....make better fastener/s

Check check check connections...

What would be an acceptable voltage drop/resistance value across a connection and how to test ?

Comments welcome, none of us are tooo old to learn..

For Velcro either multiple straps or a mechanical means of locking he loose end down or hatch cover not on magnets e.g. mechanical catches

Not my model, but leaving redundant switches  that switch things like RX supply should be removed or not have a switch at all. if its not a ESC/UBEC combo I use either an electronic type switch or no switch and plug the RX battery in before flight...the old KISS method.

PS - Will never use one of those little black bulkhead RX switches..just not worth the risk to people/model

Switches are a definite common point of failure - whether the “standard” slide switches or supposedly more robust toggle switches.   I’ve experienced problems with both types. 

Some prefer electronic “fail on” units which are arguably intrinsically safer but my preferred solution for larger models is dual power supplies individually switched. On smaller models, perhaps a dual paralleled switch solution might be worth considering, checked before each flight. 

Funnily enough, I witnessed the second incident and the contribution of the ESC isolation switch (locked in the on position since installation so unused for several years) was my immediate suspicion - further checks revealing intermittent contact with minimal movement. Switches do benefit from occasional use!

I believe the members of the bmfa)CAA zoom meeting about incident reporting and reasons for the incident was to make known the reasons, so we can all learn.

That's why this thread/topic on here was set up ?

On here you can be completely annonimouse...

Does the bmfa site have a similar thread area that can be read ?

A reminder of where it is on the bmfa site would be good ?

A link on here to the CAA incident reporting area might be good also...

We are never too old to learn stuff.

Somebody's misfortune could be your saviour...which can only be a good thing, they learn and so do we.

The clever ones don't tend to make the same mistake twice.

This thread is more about experiences rather than opinions, but opinions are welcome I would think, dam, that's torn it....

So, Look, read, inwardly digest, learn and if needed, take action.

To do nothing and just carry regardless may end in a real tragidy...fatality.

Keep the incident reports coming, I, for one, am learning...

Edited by Rich Griff