Identifying passing aircraft

Erfolg

I have finally changed from a Windows phone to an Android. The various apps have slowly disappeared, making the phone less and less useful, compared to Android support.

I would like an App which enables me to sit in the garden or possibly in the house and identify an aircraft. The type of information I would like to know is the aircraft model, its height and perhaps where it is coming from and to etc.

There was or is one (an App) where you pointed the phone at th plane, that seemed useful.

What I am seeking is users experiences of what they believe is good, and which Apps are not that good (a why less than useful).

I use 360Radar, a little on the background here 360 Radar. Available for PC and Android. Perhaps not as sophisticated as Flightradar 24, but it has the advantage of showing military aircraft as well as civilian. There are filters so that you can select Military, Civilian or both, plus many more options like overlays of military airfields and their controlled airspace.

Not free, but it is an app developed by the RAF Amateur Radio organisation.

More info and sign up page - 360Radar Sign Up Info

Edited by BackinBlack
more detail

On 08/07/2021 at 18:51, Frank Skilbeck said:

Yep, I use free version of Flightradar 24 on my android phone works well. Have used it to check the height of small aircraft flying over our patch, just to make sure they were above 500ft.

Unfortunately the data in the app cannot be relied upon, particularly where it is using MLAT for its information. We have seen our Cessna 150 at 900+knots & 28,000ft on occasions. I've just had a look now & it shows a Tomahawk doing  356knots.

image.thumb.png.8e6e23e95094365d94488c5f3e8b02af.png

All that said I use FR24 & ADS-B Exchange