Incredible Light at 10:30pm

Pete Pilot

Just a 60 second clip highlighting the beautiful late evening sun, fresh rows of grass, forest treetops and distant mountains.
(Sound On, and HD is best, but the embedded browser maybe doesn’t allow HD… hmm)

Happy to have captured this footage, and wanted to share. Cheers!

Edited by Pete Pilot
  • Like 2

Beautiful.  But then, Norway is a beautiful country and was my first trip abroad back in 1966 at 26 (we didn't get long holidays in those days and a week at the TT took up half my quota!).  It's great having long, light evenings but there's a drawback - we were there at the end of August, beginning of September and the nights were drawing rapidly.  How we managed on the restricted £50/person travel allowance plus £18 if you took a car that was in force at the time, I can't remember but we did.

My then girl friend's (now wife) 850cc Mini only just coped with some of the steep single track gravel roads but there was no problem deciding  which side of the road to drive on because everyone was in the middle.  Almost no traffic north of Bergen but I suppose they're all 2 lane and hard surfaced now over 50 years on.

Geoff

• Like 1

I spent quite a bit of time working for CONOCO in Stavanger in the early 90s, Stunning country. I recall flying into Stavanger one night at 11:45 and it was light enough to see around the airport. As an aside I had bought some Duty frees before the flight, the shop had an off on Whisky; buy a bottle and get another half bottle free. I was first off the plane in Stavanger and was pulled by some very bored customs guys who asked me what drink I had - I showed them and as I was only allowed one bottle od spirits duty free they asked me for £28.00 duty on the extra 1/2 bottle! - I forfeited it and promised not to be naughty again?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Beautiful.  But then, Norway is a beautiful country and was my first trip abroad back in 1966 at 26 (we didn't get long holidays in those days and a week at the TT took up half my quota!).  It's great having long, light evenings but there's a drawback - we were there at the end of August, beginning of September and the nights were drawing rapidly.  How we managed on the restricted £50/person travel allowance plus £18 if you took a car that was in force at the time, I can't remember but we did.

My then girl friend's (now wife) 850cc Mini only just coped with some of the steep single track gravel roads but there was no problem deciding  which side of the road to drive on because everyone was in the middle.  Almost no traffic north of Bergen but I suppose they're all 2 lane and hard surfaced now over 50 years on.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Sound like a great trip, traveling cheap is often the most entertaining way honestly, and yes, it’s 100% a different country now, after they “invented oil” in the 70s everything changed, except the mountains of course. 

Isle of Man TT you’re talking about? If so, I’m dying to go to that event, hopefully I can attend next year. Two years ago rain ruined it, last year Corona, so fingers crossed for next year. Thanks for watching and sharing your experience. 

Cheers!

Edited by Pete Pilot

11 hours ago, FlyinBrian said:

I spent quite a bit of time working for CONOCO in Stavanger in the early 90s, Stunning country. I recall flying into Stavanger one night at 11:45 and it was light enough to see around the airport. As an aside I had bought some Duty frees before the flight, the shop had an off on Whisky; buy a bottle and get another half bottle free. I was first off the plane in Stavanger and was pulled by some very bored customs guys who asked me what drink I had - I showed them and as I was only allowed one bottle od spirits duty free they asked me for £28.00 duty on the extra 1/2 bottle! - I forfeited it and promised not to be naughty again?

Haha! Yes, Norwegian officials loves taxes and hate alcohol. I’m from the US originally and find it very hard to justify the cost of alcohol, I started making beer and wine a few years ago simply from a budget stand point. ?

But the country itself is beautiful and has been great for flying RC planes and drones around.  I got sucked into building FPV drones this year, and have been having an amazing time exploring those mountains you see in the background. Truly unbelievable experience to just fly up there…

When I was in the RAF we went on detachment to Orland, Brekstadt on the Trondheim Fjord twice a year. January and June. In the summer it never got dark and in the winter it was only light about 3 hours.

I remember going Cod fishing from the banks of the Fjord at 01.00 in daylight in June, the Sun just kissed the horizon then rose again. Bacon on a bit of string to get crabs then bait the hook with the crab and haul in good size Cod which went straight over a fire we built in the rocks.

I did a couple of skydives at the club they had at Orland airfield, fantastic views.

Cross-country skiing in the winter. Beware going past the local school at 3pm. The kids came rattling out of the school yard on their plastic ski's and didn't stop for anyone.

As for the booze, apart from hotels it was supposed to be a dry country so everyone brewed their own moonshine. It was so prevalent that the supermarkets sold essence of Brandy, essence of Whisky or whatever to flavour your moonshine.

We went to a midsummer festival where they were only selling Tea, Coffee, Fanta and CocaCola. I've never seen so many people so drunk in one place in all my life!!!

Come midnight the dance floor was covered in people sleeping it off!

Another amazing thing about the summer was that I've never seen so many Hedgehogs, they were all over the place.

Thanks for the videos.

Aaaah! Happy days?

• Like 1

Wow Geoff, cool reflection of your time here. Most of what you say still holds true, though I think booze is more acceptable now, beer is at grocery stores and most areas have a liquor/wine store.

So cool about the hedgehogs, never even seen one…

As I mentioned in a previous comment I built this drone specifically for mountain exploration, and so far I can get out 6-7km (4miles) no problem; this was after months of making and testing several antennas and batteries. It's an amazing thing to look off at a distant peak and then minutes later be looking back from the top. 

I do most my test flights later at night or very early morning because the light is so nice at this time, also there generally isn’t much wind. 

On 11/07/2021 at 07:59, FlyinBrian said:

One of the guys I knew working for Conoco in Norway got caught with a suitcase full of bacon.......................

But yes stunning country

• Confused 1