JR 9X II stick mode change

David Ovenden

This info may be somewhere on the forum but my searching didn't find it .... so here goes.

I have purchased a S/H JR 9X II transmitter. It was mode 1 but I (wrongly) assumed that changing it to mode 2 would be easy. Swap the ratchet and spring on the sticks and change the setting on the system menu - an easy and quick job I imagined. The instruction manual shows there is a setting in Sysyem Mode to do it, but it does not exist on my set. Mine is a genuine Macgregor set, but they do longer import or service JR radio.

So does anyone know how to activate the stick mode option in the software, or which jumper to change inside the set, or can you point me to a link of how to do it?

I could, of course, just rewire all the leads from the throttle and elevator pots and trims. But that seems ridiculous in this day and age when JR designed the radio to have a software option to make the change easy!

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Hang fire David, don't desolder anything.

I will try and find my notes, but much like other makes

You will hold certain trim tabs asside at switch on and toggle a switch.

Someone will know, but I will look for my old notes

The manual is still online

IMG_20210711_084947.jpg

Edited by Denis Watkins

Hi Denis

I do have the manual. But the software in my transmitter has the Switch Mode option missing/deactivated. There were different versions of the 9X II produced . Some had the switch mode option others didn't. Mine doesn't have it. I think you have to get into the service menu and add a jumper on the PCM to do the change on the version I have. But I need the confirmation from someone who has done it successfully!!

9x screen.jpg

Edited by David Ovenden

Thanks Simon,

Yes Mike R is an excellent man for JR radio. However, as I am in France currently its hard to send stuff to the UK currently with all the paperwork.

After some detective work trawling various forums I seem to have solved my issue. I have added the appropriate jumper to the PCB then re-centred the sticks and set the travel for elevator and throttle via the service menu. I have also managed to get the stick mode option back on the system menu!

So far it all seems to be working as it should!

This kind of thing where manufacturers crippled sets I order to preserve a hierarchy of features across their range is so annoying - why on earth would you remove the capacity to change the stock mode in software when other versions had it? Bizarre. Thankfully there are now a few open source options that won’t ever go that route.

• 2 years later...
On 11/07/2021 at 19:10, David Ovenden said:

Thanks Simon,

Yes Mike R is an excellent man for JR radio. However, as I am in France currently its hard to send stuff to the UK currently with all the paperwork.

After some detective work trawling various forums I seem to have solved my issue. I have added the appropriate jumper to the PCB then re-centred the sticks and set the travel for elevator and throttle via the service menu. I have also managed to get the stick mode option back on the system menu!

On 11/07/2021 at 19:10, David Ovenden said:

Thanks Simon,

Hi David I've just bought the dsx9 limited that doesn't have the mode menu. Are you able to pass on any info on where the jumper goes please. And once it's done does the mode menu just appear. In the service menu it says mode change using jumper but can't find anything but this thread on the subject cheers.. Paul