How to check if brushless motor is OK to use.

I thinks it's best as a precaution and for your "records" to do a resistance check of the motor windings when the motor is new.

These readings/records can then he compared with the manufacturers and your records at a later date, but, a resistance check does not check the insulation "strength" under load.

If the insulation strength is compromised then problems could happen.

New to model electric motors used in planes so insulation check may not be of importance as voltages seen by the motor may not be high enough, but current draw seems guite high.

Just a lay persons view but experienced modelled will know.

The resistance of the motor windings is too low to be measured without a special meter. A normally available meter would register an apparent short circuit across any pair if the windings were OK. Conversely if a one or more windings were burnt out the meter would show an open circuit across one or each winding.
If you have a digital multi-meter you could test if there is any breakdown in the windings insulation to the motor

frame. Set the meter to read the highest resistance scale & measure across each winding, the readings will be zero if OK.

What cause the ESC to be damaged in the first place ?

My own view is it would be most unlikely the motor would be damaged by the ESC overload. The electronics in the ESC it would fail far faster than the motor.

If the resulting fire 'scorched' the motor then there is a possibility the winding insulation could be damaged but in brushless motor there are pretty buried.

The wires leading to the motor are a different matter. Were they damaged in any way?

I always check and record the full power amps for each plane. If the motor pulled the same amps with the same prop and battery I would have little hesitation in reusing it.