servo plug sleeve thing to make plug into a socket

andyh

as you may be able to tell by the thread subject, I'm not quite sure what to call these, which is why I'm not finding anything in google ...

I'm making up some servo-type leads with 2/3/4 wire dupont connectors & I'm trying to find the sleeve/barrel/whatever things that you plug a plug (with male pins) into to make a socket.

if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!  ?

12 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Andy, the part you circled is actually the socket. You can't turn a plug into a socket, because the plug has receptacles and the socket has pins.

Graham

Nope, it's a polarising sleeve in my book.  It has neither pins nor receptacles so is gender-neutral.  For RC use it turns a plug into a sleeved plug.?

Edited by Bob Cotsford
mistyped 'plug', wasn't implying it turned it into a pooch!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Andy, the part you circled is actually the socket. You can't turn a plug into a socket, because the plug has receptacles and the socket has pins.

what I'm after - & what I believe I circled - is one of these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

you make up a plug with male pins (so they protrude out of the plug), then plug the plug into the sleeve to make it into a socket.

19 minutes ago, alan p said:

What you are showing is the protective shroud for the pins. 

As said previously pins cannot be converted to socket, its either male or female. Gender neutral doesn,t even come into it?

I know what you mean (I know what I mean too ? )- people call the normal servo plug male, which really has female "pins", & call the socket female, which really has male pins.

if we're calling it a shroud, do you know where to get any please because Google doesn't seem to call it a shroud?  ?

8 hours ago, alan p said:

... its either male or female. Gender neutral doesn,t even come into it?

Has anybody asked the plug/socket/shroud (whatever) how it wants to be referred to?  The important thing here is how it self-identifies and not that it conforms to some oppressive norms imposed by an outdated patriarchy.  (Flounces out...)

35 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Has anybody asked the plug/socket/shroud (whatever) how it wants to be referred to?  The important thing here is how it self-identifies and not that it conforms to some oppressive norms imposed by an outdated patriarchy.  (Flounces out...)

it wants to be called "Loretta"  ?

8 hours ago, John Lee said:

This on Ebay appears to be what you want andyh, or at least the description should enable you to search wider.

thanks John, we're getting warmer.  I still can't find any 2/4/etc. pin housings though.  ?

I use dupont connectors (didn't know that's what they're called) in multiple configurations, single and double row, up to a dozen wires, for connecting wing electrics to the fuselage.  I use 2.45mm (1/10th inch) pin headers for the the other half of the connection, soldered into a pcb and then stuck onto a suitable place near the wing mount.  In some ways more handy for connecting than plug and socket each on a wire, because it can be done with only one hand.

I used to make up these in a different situation professionally and now loads of them on my models. The correct term is a male socket. The other half is identical whichever gender the pins/sockets are. Get them from the above mentioned suppliers as long as they are exactly the same as on Spektrum/Hitec/Futaba as some brands have shorter pins which will give the inevitable disastrous results. I posted very recently somewhere on here about making up multi connectors etc using these and since I have the knowhow and correct tools to do it (£500+) offered to help out but no takers so best of luck. PM me if you wish.

thanks for your replies gents.  I'm beginning to think that I may have imagined the existence of sleeves/male sockets for anything other than 3-pins!

Allan - that's a neat solution but it doesn't really suit my application.

Martin - I think your post was in this thread - https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/48404-best-source-for-servo-crimp-connectors/ - I didn't see it at the time, I just went & found it now.  thanks for the offer, I'll bear it in mind, but I think I'll probably end up just using combinations of 3-pin connectors, as inelegant as that may be. ?

-

Wouldn't a twin type Y extension lead do the job?   The type where you put 2 aileron servos etc  into the twin socket.   The plug put in one side also becomes a socket connected to the plug.  ( difficult to describe but you know what I mean)

This is what I mean  https://www.componentshop.co.uk/futaba-150mm-22awg-splitter-lead.html

But of course you don't need or use the lead and plug just the twin socket.

Edited by kc

On 24/07/2021 at 09:17, Ron Gray said:

Did you look at the MaxLock connectors Andy?

I did look but 4max seem to be the only people selling them.  they also only seem to come in multiples of three - which obviously makes sense for multiple servo connectors - when I'm mostly interested in making up 4-pin connectors.  also, I wasn't clear whether you can use regular servo pins to make up the connectors.

On 24/07/2021 at 11:43, kc said:

Wouldn't a twin type Y extension lead do the job?   The type where you put 2 aileron servos etc  into the twin socket.   The plug put in one side also becomes a socket connected to the plug.  ( difficult to describe but you know what I mean)

This is what I mean  https://www.componentshop.co.uk/futaba-150mm-22awg-splitter-lead.html

But of course you don't need or use the lead and plug just the twin socket.

that's basically a Y-lead isn't it?