Kids from 10 to 70 having fun

Might sound defeatist, but I think that our youngsters and teens are a lost generation to our hobby and while there will always be a few who might have the bug bite them and go on to a great life-long hobby, I see little evidence that the thrill of aeroplanes and flying holds much to draw the attention of 21st century kids.

Still, the doors are open for those who choose to step through.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Might sound defeatist, but I think that our youngsters and teens are a lost generation to our hobby and while there will always be a few who might have the bug bite them and go on to a great life-long hobby, I see little evidence that the thrill of aeroplanes and flying holds much to draw the attention of 21st century kids.

Still, the doors are open for those who choose to step through.....

I hope that those kids who are currently taking an interest in drones, multirotors, whatever you want to call them, will go on to fly proper planes or helis ?

17 hours ago, Steve Houghton 1 said:

I hope that those kids who are currently taking an interest in drones, multirotors, whatever you want to call them, will go on to fly proper planes or helis ?

Yes, so do I. The fly in the ointment is that many youngsters don't see the link between flying a model aircraft and the technology and engineering that links in nicely to IT, computer science and games in the drone world, and which they find 'cool'.

Nothing wrong with that, my own eight years old grandson is showing a talent for coding and mathmatics and whilst he finds aviation curious, it's not at all magical and fascinating as earlier generations saw it. Balsa, glue and other modelling stuff is just what grandad does!

Not all kids are the same though and I'm all for encouraging those that do find our hobby interesting.

Edited by Cuban8