Laser 155

ARC

Might be worth a move. 

In answer to the op however, they were introduced about 2013 if i remember rightly. I wanted an engine with more torque than a 150 but with a short enough stroke that it would fit similar models. The 155 did the job nicely. 

About the only complaint i have had back from customers is they like them so much they have to buy another and this lands them in hot water with the management. 

I do have one question. Reading between the lines of your two recently posted threads, are you attempting to convert this 155 to run on petrol? If so just forget it. It wont work and all you will be doing is throwing money away. If it was as easy as slapping a CDI unit and walbro carb on the engine my factory petrol engines would not still be in development after 7 years! If conversion is not your intent please ignore this, but if it is be prepared for a disappointing and unreliable time. 

18 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Might be worth a move. 

In answer to the op however, they were introduced about 2013 if i remember rightly. I wanted an engine with more torque than a 150 but with a short enough stroke that it would fit similar models. The 155 did the job nicely. 

About the only complaint i have had back from customers is they like them so much they have to buy another and this lands them in hot water with the management. 

I do have one question. Reading between the lines of your two recently posted threads, are you attempting to convert this 155 to run on petrol? If so just forget it. It wont work and all you will be doing is throwing money away. If it was as easy as slapping a CDI unit and walbro carb on the engine my factory petrol engines would not still be in development after 7 years! If conversion is not your intent please ignore this, but if it is be prepared for a disappointing and unreliable time. 

Thanks Jon for the info , no not looking to convert to petrol that's another engine/issue. On the 155 is there an updated document regards running in or is it the generic one that's available . 

I've got three 155's ... They're stonkingly good, and quite a bit more powerful than the 150. 

Here's the thing with Lasers - Every penny you spend goes into that engine. They are CNC machined to the finest tolerances from solid top quality billet. Nothing is cast or pressed out from sheet. They are all hand finished, polished and tested pre-delivery. 

You're not paying import duty, shipping costs, distributor overheads, or retail markup. Every penny goes into an exquisitely made piece of British high-end engineering. Nothing else on the market comes close. Oh yes, and they're bulletproof too ???

• Like 1

Oh and don't give it a few "clicks rich" or fly around at 1/4 throttle all of the time. With the right prop on them it does them no harm to be given a good thrashing.

PS Two things in life need to be known, correct tank position and cooling, get them right and they will reward you with power and reliability, oh and sound nice! 

I ran in a new Laser 180 on my Chipmunk yesterday. All I did was set the carburettor idle needle and full speed needle with the cowl off (so I could adjust the idle). I also needed to set the minimum open setting on the throttle servo . The running in process is so easy. After a quick tune up that took less than 10 minutes to optimise settings the Chipmunk was in the air with the cowl back on.  Nobody would have noticed I was “running in”. I flew my perfectly normal schedule and the engine didn’t miss a beat. 

1 hour ago, ARC said:

thanks guys for the info . While my 155 is waiting to drop in my model should i be putting a little light oil via the rear case nipple just to keep things lube' d inside 

Unless you wash out all the old oil, then spend about half an hour filling the entire crankcase with oil and making sure there are no air pockets...no. 

'a few drops' of after run oil through the crankcase nipple or glowplug will do nothing to help your engine and can in fact hinder it if the oil is not methanol soluble and/or incompatible with the oil used in your fuel. Its another piece of modelling folk lore that has crept in from somewhere. 

If you are concerned, pop it on the bench with a 16x8 prop and give it a good thrashing. Be sure you tune it for max rpm and make sure you get it up to full temperature. A good way to do this is start it, tune it at full power and hold for 15 seconds. Then throttle back by about 500-1000rpm from peak (throttle back, dont tune it rich) and leave it there for about 2 minutes. Back open to full power, mess about with some accelerations from idle etc. Once bored with all that pinch the fuel line to stop it, turn to TDC and leave to cool down. Pop it in a plastic bag, then a box, then hide under the bed.