Modelair at Old Warden this weekend

The question is did you miss out by not going-  my answer is that it was not as good as the last time I went in 2019.   Lost it's atmosphere by moving the RC so far from the hangers and putting the trade stands well away form everything.  The possibility of rain made it essential to drive from the free flight area to RC area - it's a long walk.   The RC attendance seemed less than usual too.  Not that many models and very little new to inspire me.    The weather was just not quite raining when I arrived at 1pm and varied between a few spots and then clearing up by about 3pm.   So just about OK weatherwise.

They wouldn't accept cash at the gates so anybody without a credit card would not have got in!   What has the world come to!  

That's the negative side to console Maurice for not going.

I enjoyed the day and was glad I went and everyone else seemed to enjoy it too.   I will go next time for the September Modelair.   Perhaps they could make it more compact though?

1 hour ago, kc said:

Alan,  that's what I thought at first but the pilot told me it was his design that he once sold at Sandown - that was probably a long while ago and perhaps before Miss Lizzie.   Unfortunately I didn't ask the pilot/designer's name but I expect someone here knows.

Given the mention of previous kit production and "Sandown", I wonder if you may have been speaking to Ian Maher of 'Mahers Models'?.  The plane pictured looks very much like his 'Thunderbird'.  (Superb kits - all CNC routed, with the wing spars spindle-routed to fit the rounded slots wing ribs.  I have one of his earlier 'Pacer' kits in the attic, on the bucket list...)

My (helpful) contribution may be wrong (and I'm old and sage enough to shrug that off), but anyone who thinks the two planes look nothing alike needs an express trip to Specsavers... ?

@kc- can you look at your original pic, please, to see if the script on the stbd wing can be read?

Clear differences:

Thunderbird has a cowl with dummy cylinder head blisters - Doo Little has a perfectly circular cowl.

Thunderbird has a distinctive tapered vertical tail -Doo Little has a more circular vertical tail.

Thnerbird has a lower aspect ratio wing than Doo Little.

So, enough clear differences for you?

Obviously most low wing monoplanes of conventional layout look alike, so you could just as easily argue that it is any old model.

Any minor detail differences are overwhelmed by the similarities, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested the Thunderbird as a possibility.  If you disagree, put up some suggestions of your own instead of just dishing out 'knocking copy'.

PS/BTW - it also reminds me a little of Cab Richardson's 'Regal Eagle' - he also sold those kits at Sandown in the same era as Ian Maher...

I bought one of the ARTF Thunderbirds from Ian Maher (I still have it with a Zenoah 26 engine) and he confessed to having been inspired by the Regal Eagle when he designed it.   It flies really well but it hasn't been airborne for a year or two. 

Geoff

3 hours ago, kc said:

This is a Doo Little a very attractive scale looking design - an own design by the pilot who told me he produced kits in the past.    about 60 inch span i guess and well powered by a 45 twostroke.    Wouldn't it be nice to see it as an RCME plan at some time?

1-DSC_0014.JPG

Mahers models Pacer, popular in the 1990s. 

Well I recall that the Regal Eagle was thought to be based on an enlarged version of a Peter Miller Radio Modeller design.....Miss Lizzy was a later Peter Miller design for RCME September 2005 which was an enlarged Tequila Sunrise (RM plan and also RCModeler USA plan )   Miss Lizzy has a rounded fuselage while the Doo Little seems flat.  

The wording on the wing reads - C.A.M.F.C.,  Rye Warbirds, Old Warden MFC, 1066MFC. 

Edited by kc

Some models may seem to appear similar because they are based on full size designs, in this case the Bendix racers of 1930s.    The actual design, wing section and construction may be very different.........

17 hours ago, kc said:

Well this is a photo of the Doo Little with pilot-you can see more of the plane but not much of the owner from this awkward angle.

1-DSC_0016.JPG

Well, to be fair, from that angle it looks less like a Thunderbird and more like a Regal Eagle ?  (but the latter had a taller, pointy fin)

I'm a bit confused about Doo Little kits though.  I thought this plane was a one-off based on the designer/builder's larger previously kitted design (per kc's earlier post).  I'd also buy one if they were available!

@Martin Harris - ModeratorHmm!  Might have to promote that Pacer kit up the running order!  (I also bought a Thunderbird cowl to replace the 'cheeky' version...)

(PS - emoticons take AGES to load! - Just me?)

I was told the THIS model was from a kit he produced at one time,  there was no mention of it being related to other designs.

The designer told me he now had just a couple of kits left and he wasn't selling them but was saving them for his son and grandsons!   But of course money might change his mind.......

• 1 year later...
On 26/07/2021 at 13:26, Rich Griff said:

Nice chipmunk, anyone on here fly with 8AEF as a cadet ?

Hi Richard. Just found this. Yes this one represents the first Chippy that I flew whilst in the ATC. 8AEF had by far the most colourful and pleasing scheme of them all. A little bit of bending the rules regarding the markings and dayglow strips