Gyroo!...an autogyro for under £25?

Richard Harris

39 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Breaking props, are you getting it into the air ?, My average was to brake one blade every three flights, so I just made my own,,,

Sort of...

I couldnt get it to spin fast enough to start with adding more negative incidence with each attempt. 

Once it did spin up it was getting into autorotation and a hand launch saw a fast descent.

The blade used was a weighted Panther type so it may be a case of lengthening the span to give the extra lift needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As promised a bit of an update, it's looking like the Gyroo could possibly make the May edition, though this would be the earliest. When  I get solid confirmation of I can make up a list of materials/ electrics needed if this will help?

On a side note there may be a  3D printed version available to compliment it, the prototype is in early development by a fellow Gyronut , early signs indicate that it flies equally as well as its wooden brother. 

I have a second model on the building board, I am thinking of making a 2 blade conversion. If there is interest in this I can scribble all the info down and make a set of drawings to compliment, just let me know?

I think we may be able to upload PDF's to the new forum?

Rich

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

As promised a bit of an update, it's looking like the Gyroo could possibly make the May edition, though this would be the earliest. When  I get solid confirmation of I can make up a list of materials/ electrics needed if this will help?

On a side note there may be a  3D printed version available to compliment it, the prototype is in early development by a fellow Gyronut , early signs indicate that it flies equally as well as its wooden brother. 

I have a second model on the building board, I am thinking of making a 2 blade conversion. If there is interest in this I can scribble all the info down and make a set of drawings to compliment, just let me know?

I think we may be able to upload PDF's to the new forum?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I would be interested in trying a two blade version. 

Steve. ??

I have now submitted the parts drawing to Sarik Hobbies CAD man so hopefully there is a possibility of a part kit to compliment the Gyroo.

Have also made a start on the 2 blade conversion, from experiments in the past I have found that a 2 blade set up needs to have a blade length about 20% extra to that of its 3 blade counterpart. For the Gyroo I will start at 600mm long and see how that works out, blanks are glued together and require profiling over the weekend.

The anti strike plate goes on the bottom and is made from 2mm aluminium as it is all I had, on top of this is fibre glass plate to which the blades are bolted to. The larger holes in the alloy plate are clearance holes for the blade mount bolts and nuts, this allows the FG  plate to flex up.

I will get these parts finished before redesigning the back end to give me the extra clearance needed for 2 blades.

Rich

20220211_171224[1].jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/02/2022 at 17:43, Richard Harris said:

I have now submitted the parts drawing to Sarik Hobbies CAD man so hopefully there is a possibility of a part kit to compliment the Gyroo.

Have also made a start on the 2 blade conversion, from experiments in the past I have found that a 2 blade set up needs to have a blade length about 20% extra to that of its 3 blade counterpart. For the Gyroo I will start at 600mm long and see how that works out, blanks are glued together and require profiling over the weekend.

The anti strike plate goes on the bottom and is made from 2mm aluminium as it is all I had, on top of this is fibre glass plate to which the blades are bolted to. The larger holes in the alloy plate are clearance holes for the blade mount bolts and nuts, this allows the FG  plate to flex up.

I will get these parts finished before redesigning the back end to give me the extra clearance needed for 2 blades.

Rich

20220211_171224[1].jpg

What are the advantages and disadvantages of 2 blades vs 3?

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of 2 blades vs 3?

Matty,

2 blades are more efficient, cheaper and there are less to break! They also sound better

Cons are they are trickier to set up than 3 blades being more sensitive if not tackled correctly.

Kind of going from a high winged trainer  to a low wing aerobat.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

I've knocked up a materials list for the Gyroo so those that are giving it a go can sort out what is needed,  hopefully it's attached to this post as a PDF?

Gyroo! Materials List.pdf 4.85 MB · 14 downloads

Sorry to be a pedant, but “density here” seems to have snuck into your pdf… ??

943FE2AF-CB05-448C-8E5A-DD5831B2F4F8.jpeg

Edited by MattyB
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Stephen Jones said:

Thanks Richard,

Been a while since I built this one and have been asked if I could build one for one or two of these for our club mates. ??

I will post my build pictures on here too to prove how simple and easy this one is.

Steve 

Look forward to seeing your twin build for your mates Stephen?

On 09/04/2022 at 22:14, codepox said:

Does anyone knows how to buy and have the RCM&E May issue shipped to USA?

My understanding is that Barnes & Noble bookstores stock the USA's version of RCM&E (cannot remember its name off the top of my head), easiest thing to do is to drop the magazine an email for the up to date info you require.

Rich