Gyroo!...an autogyro for under £25?

Richard Harris

Hello

I am building a Gyroo and have carved the blades. These are made as the plans using aircraft spruce LE and what I thought was medium hard balsa. My balsa choice must have been too soft because after carving and with the bottom reinforcing plates fitted, they only weigh 30 grams, which is a lot lighter than the plan weight of 50 to 65 gms. I have read the Panther article (my next model) which says that the blades have a cone angle in flight which gives instability, also I have seen a post saying that a model with light blades rolls much more quickly. Obviously my light blade will have a greater cone angle so I am concerned if they will work. I don't want to bin them and am thinking of laminating with glass fiber or wrapping them in brown paper to stiffen them up and add weight.

What do you think? Is it worth trying them as or is there a way to salvage them?

I have just reached the same stage myself, and my uncovered blades are also coming out coming out around 34g, so I'm watching this thread with interest. I haven't yet glued on the bottom plates so have been wondering about adding a full-length layer of 1/64th ply. 

I did take my scales to the model shop when buying the wood, and picked the heavier spruce: their stock 3ft lengths seemed to vary from about 45 to 65g, which surprised me. I also thought I'd found some good med/hard balsa, but didn't weigh that, maybe a target sheet weight might help others?

I've really enjoyed this build though, which after nearly 40 years of flying is my first from a magazine free plan!

• 3 weeks later...

So here it is. It's a fully 'stock' build, with the recommended motor, servos, etc. Even with the sharp leading edges, which I'll confess confounded all my instincts. It was especially rewarding to find all the cut parts went together perfectly - the magazine plan was spot on, well done to all involved. I'll probably not fly it until Spring - the last guy who tried to drive to our field got stuck in a waterlogged patch. 

I'm feeling slightly guilty that my last post was supposed to reinforce a question from 'Affair' - but I think I ended up pushing it to the background - apols to you Affair. 

With the covering and 5g tip weights I did finally get my own blades to 45g, hopefully this will be ok.  

PXL_20231102_114830461.jpg

• Like 1

Neil,

Nice job on yours 😎, you cant go wrong with yellow. I look forward to hearing how you get on once your patch has dried out, the winter months will give you ample time to knock a few spares up 'just in case'.

Affair,

I'm sorry, I thought I'd replied to your post but it looks like I missed it, your blades are light at 30g and would probably make your Gyroo a bit sensitive in roll. Like Neil has done just add tip weights into each blade to bring them up to spec, they need to be inset into the blade in front of the cord-wise CG.

This is just testing the water :

I've been thinking of scribbling up a 'Gyroo II',  this would be a pusher version using the same modular build as the tractor version, similar in size so as to utilize a lot of the parts from the Gyroo (blades, head, plates, servos etc). 

I must admit I have way too many projects on the go but if there is enough interest it could jump to the top of the 'to do' list.

What do you guys think?

Rich

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

Neil,

Nice job on yours 😎, you cant go wrong with yellow. I look forward to hearing how you get on once your patch has dried out, the winter months will give you ample time to knock a few spares up 'just in case'.

Affair,

I'm sorry, I thought I'd replied to your post but it looks like I missed it, your blades are light at 30g and would probably make your Gyroo a bit sensitive in roll. Like Neil has done just add tip weights into each blade to bring them up to spec, they need to be inset into the blade in front of the cord-wise CG.

I've been thinking of scribbling up a 'Gyroo II',  this would be a pusher version using the same modular build as the tractor version, similar in size so as to utilize a lot of the parts from the Gyroo (blades, head, plates, servos etc). 

I must admit I have way too many projects on the go but if there is enough interest it could jump to the top of the 'to do' list.

What do you guys think?

Rich

Go for it

On 07/11/2023 at 10:04, Richard Harris said:

Neil,

Affair,

What do you guys think?

Rich

Definitely one for the future Rich,however I'd love to see you publish your beautiful Twister Autogyro first please 🙏 😎👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2023 at 23:04, Richard Harris said:

Affair,

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I laminated two layers of glass fibre onto my blades and they now weigh 41.5gm each, so much closer. I am now planning to add tip weights. I would have thought the weights should be on the chord -wise CG.  Why do they need to be in front? and by how much. Many thanks

Edited by Affair

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody who purchased the plans from Coolwind tell me if you recieve a digital version?  I don't need a physical paper shipped across the pond

Correction, looks like it is now Sarik Hobbies that has the plans

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/new-auto-gryo/

Same question, is digital version included or available?

Thx

rhauff

Edited by rhauff
Correction of plan source

On 10/05/2022 at 14:41, Richard Harris said:

I've been informed that the  Gyroo 3D printed files are now available free to download  from Coolwind models . These have been designed by renowned gyronut Tim Arnold. They are located in the download section and feature a modification to the UC giving you an option to add extra wire to the standard legs if you feel the need.

At the moment a balsa tail is used as the first printed tail was a tad heavy,  However, a few experts over on our FB group are modiying them to extract as much weight as possible.

On another note I flew the prototype last weekend, I had broken the 11" prop trying my one blade experiments. All I could find was a 10x 4 drone prop ( the coloured thin type that hum when over rpm'd) I was pleasantly surprised that it still had plenty of oomph. Though I coudnt pull a loop as before but the duration was definitely extended some what.

Rich

Does anybody have a copy of those print files?  Seems everything disappeared pretty quickly from the Coolwinde site

On 28/11/2023 at 18:01, rhauff said:

Does anybody have a copy of those print files?  Seems everything disappeared pretty quickly from the Coolwinde site

I think they were removed because someone thought it was OK to print them and sell them without permission. You need to speak to Tim Arnold as he drew them up and tested it.

On 30/11/2023 at 06:26, Richard Harris said:

I think they were removed because someone thought it was OK to print them and sell them without permission. You need to speak to Tim Arnold as he drew them up and tested it.

Checked with Tim on the RC Model Autogyro facebook site & only printed parts are available from a couple members, but not the files.

Now I hesitate to ask this, as it appears my question got me banned on that facebook group...??!!

If I draw up some parts based on your plans, is it ok if I share them on Thingiverse?  I have found the rotor head & rotorblades by Emanuel_Stassar, and I would like to design the nose & tail as well and make them compatible with CF square tubing instead of spruce.

• 4 weeks later...

Vince from Malta posted a photo today over on FB , he's had 4 successful flights with his Gyroo this morning and is deservedly pleased.. His clubmate Ruben has been assisting in his autogyro journey. Weather looks a little better over there!

Thought it was worthy of sharing here.

Screenshot_20231230_185707.thumb.jpg.e4c7510dd749a56bba639871622b055b.jpg

Edited by Richard Harris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Im from belgium and wanted to order the plans for the gyroo, but is there A way I can order just the PDF file or digital files? I can print at school, and shipping to belgium is difficult by post...

Greetings

Although I subscribe, I'd binned my copy of the May '22 magazine before deciding to build a Gyroo. So I bought a back issue direct from this RCM&E website (link below, selecting the print copy option). It came complete with the free plan. Obviously you'll need to check out if they post overseas.

Radio Control Models & Electronics | MAY 2022 (classicmagazines.co.uk) 

• Like 1