Gyroo!...an autogyro for under £25?

Richard Harris

20 hours ago, Chris Dowell said:

Correct.. carbon arrow shafts and I also used shorter blades ,from one of my "Minimum's"....and the all up weight is 910gms, with a "slight" modification to the fuz.

Chris,

Mine weighs in at 920gms, that's with a 3s 2200mah Lipo installed, so you have saved 10 grams with your arrow shafts, though it could be the gravitational pull is a little less down under ? ??

Have you flown yours with the 'add on' fuz yet?

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2021 at 00:32, Chris Dowell said:

Steve.

What is your motor on this model.................got to get me a new one................mine is a tad under powered. ?

Cheers 

Chris...

Chris,

If it's any help the motor I'm using is THIS  swinging a 11 x 5.5" APC prop, 40amp ESC off a 3s 2200mah Lipo.

This gives me plenty of power to easily pull loops from level flight, it could be propped down for a more sedate flying style and better duration.

The other models I have seen do have bigger heavier motors fitted which work just fine too.

Rich

On 19/10/2021 at 00:32, Chris Dowell said:

Steve.

What is your motor on this model.................got to get me a new one................mine is a tad under powered. ?

Cheers 

Chris...

Hi Criss,

The motor I used is a EMAX BL 2815/09 Its a old motor I have had for some time but never used until now.

A 12x6 Master airscrew Prop is on it I think I could get better performance from a APC Prop  but it works fine with the 40 Amp esc and a standard 2200 mAh 25c Lipo battery

Hope this helps.

You want to try your hand at pylon turns ?

Steve.

Gentlemen.

Well Rich my motor is a little smaller than yours ..being a 2826  1000KV turning a 10 X 4.7 SF prop   so it flies be it very sedately.

Now Steve that motor you are using is a bit overpowered for this model. I have about six of them that I use on considerable larger models I have one in a DAG and had one in the Panther....and I know that they turn a 12 X 6 prop with ease .

Now I just happen to have a spare one laying in a box doing nothing at the moment SOOOOOO  what can go wrong ?

Chris...

13 hours ago, Chris Dowell said:

So I took out the "four" and dropped in the "V eight ",so its a 138 gm compared to 68 gms ,without a lipo ,it comes in with 18 deg hang,,,so did you have to put a brick in the boot??

Chris...

Funny thing is I fitted a D2826-1100Kv motor and mine was tail heavy that is why I fitted the bigger motor.

The D2826-1100Kv is spec at 51g on HobbyKings site.

With regards to the build I stuck to Richards Design specs and materials, however you did not and used a arrow shaft for the tail boom could it be that your build is lighter at the rear end ?. 

I still have to weight mine which I will do tomorrow to find out the AuW.

I have a full set of build pictures which I can share after publication.

In fact as mine can be un-bolted I could weight all the parts separately for reference. 

Steve.

Edited by Stephen Jones

Thanks Steve 

I have always managed to "Build Light" and that could be the reason in this case .I do bereave that the arrow shaft could be lighter than wood . My original construction DID actually follow Riches instructions ( for a change) with the initial build as was shown in my video but I have made some mods to the appearance on the tail boom.  I did send a pic of the model to Rich for his perusal.

Just weighed it and model only with EMAX 2815 09  12 X 6 prop  no lipo   no rotor comes in at 670gm.

Looks like I may have to add about 40-50 gms to the tail.

I have never had to add weight to the tail of any autogyro before this .

Chris...

Well with the battery at the rear of its compartment and 20gms added to the fin ,the weight with lipo and rotor is 1085 gms ,ready to fly with a 16 deg hang and that gives me 4.95 OZ/ sq FT loading which is pretty good .

It's just that it seamed so much heavier with the larger motor ,but in fact it must have been pretty light with the smaller one.

I'm hoping to get it out next week and try for some of those pylon turns, just like Steve.?

Chris...

Hi,

I finally found my Digital scale and have weigh the Gyroo ! then I weighed the parts separately.

Firstly let me congratulate Chris on his light build.

So 1st off I weigh the Lipo battery as this is needed not only to power the model but to achieve correct balance as it fits in-between P2 - 3s 2200mAh Turnigy 20-30c = 190g

My Blades as a set including the Delta plates all bolted as one ready for bolting onto the C30 head. = 134g

Tailplane -Fin with rudder and control horn and Fin packers Covered ready for use = 33g

Tail Boom covered ready to slot into the body and Tailplane = 25g

Tailplane - T1 - T3  skid ready to fit to boom and Fin = 17g 

Main body - Rotor boom - C30 head - all covered with servos - 40Amp Esc - Motor - Rx - Undercarriage and wheels all ready for boom to be fitted = 571g

Nuts and bolts for bolting boom to the body and Tailplane  and rudder connecting rod = 20g

Giving +/- 1g for each time I measure each part separately their is a difference between the final weight of My Gyroo as a complete model ready to fly = 999g

Hopefully this will serve as a guide for others wishing to build this Great Autogyro.

Cheers Steve.

Edited by Stephen Jones

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chris Dowell said:

Yes Steve ..quite a moover now. I use a 12 X 6 with this motor...I do  like your collection and have been watching with interest your videos and the progression of the Liddle glider...and am waiting for the VTOL version ??

That bat looks interesting.

Cheers

Chris...

Thank`s Chris, Yes 12x6 is the right prop for that motor.

And wait no-longer the VTOL version is here.

Steve. ?

4 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

Nice job Chris, loops will be a doddle now! no pressure for a video.........

I'd be interested to know where the CG has ended up on your and Steve's over powered Gyroo's?

When you guys get chance could you take a measurement from the front of the mast at the fuselage top forwards?

I will check again tomorrow but I think mine balanced as per plan.

Steve.

Rich 

According to the plan....I'm way out    I have 85mm from front of carbon mast to the balance point with lipo and model in the horizontal position and no rotor.

Is that the way you want it?

The blades that I made for this model are 700 x 60 using 2mm hardwood base to the whole blade with hardwood L/E and then all depron for the rear top of the blade .No balsa used in there construction.

Steve Very nice    but VTOL   The L is for LANDING?

Chris...