Keil Kraft Falcon 96" Build from Plans

I recently purchased a complete set of Bellair laser cut formers/rib parts for this classic model plus the plans.

Strip and sheet wood is required to finish the model. Are there any modellers out there who may have constructed this particular model before and may have a list of the additional materials that are needed?

Kind regards

SW

Hi           I have constructed two Falcons over the past two years, both built from plans.

Never had any issues with the builds, just follow the plans and you will be rewarded

with a fantastic model.

How do you intend to power the Falcon, mine are both Laser powered. Keep the rear end light.

Thanks for the comments folks. I'm intending to fly this one electric! Our Field has to be kept 'neighbour friendly'.

The Falcon will be my Winter build project so I'm not intending to fly until 2022. Seems a bit like winter round here just recently- rain and wind for days!!

Cheers for now

Chris (SW)

Right, I’m oldish. And a monthly drool, at the back of aeromodeller, in the KK advert, was the Falcon. And I will build one. Thanks, Rodney, I have an ancient early 75, in a very geriatric airframe, ie, not far from falling to pieces. 
It will do nicely.

But I’m tempted to go electric, and lose weight.

Lose weight in the covering. Doculam and tissue. Not much paint.
All the fusalage frames and ribs in foam. Bit of Carbon in the spars. Small, high tech servos. As far forward as possible. Closed loop to the back, in HT cord, adjusters at the front. 
And an electric setup.

Battery as necessary to balance it, having done what I can to reduce tail weight.

Then, deckchair, and relax.

Not exactly retro, but light flies better.

Skippers Walker, if you have a short kit, why not just go to the plan, and look, bit of LE edge sheet, strip by the meter, big wheels, and some hardwood to give stiffening to where the engine used to be. And some wire. Go over each sheet, order 20% extra. Order 50% extra, it will get used, at little cost.

Take note of Rodney’s comment re tail heavy. The originals flew with heavy engines. We are blessed with powerful and light power plants.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Don. I'm nearing 77 and having spent most of my modelling 'life' flying slope soarers and thermal gliders, the power scene is relatively new to me. I picked up the modelling hobby again about 3 years ago following a lengthy break from building and flying. Fortunately I have become pally with with a small local group of mainly power fliers and it's good not to feel under any pressure to 'perform' on the flying field. I've recently built and flown a standard Junior 60 a have a Vic Smeed Madcap that's awaiting a maiden flight. I first flew this model design as  F/F in the 50's.

I have a selection of electric gliders that fly well. Almost all of the flying at our field is electric. I'm amazed both by the modern kit and by it's efficiency, you never stop learning.

The Falcon is a short kit and will no doubt take me many hours of workshop time to complete with the hope of flying it next year!

Best wishes

Chris

(SW)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...