Playboy Senior Build

Building a Playboy Senior from a short kit from Belair.  For those with experience of building the design do you think I have enough structure holding the pylon onto the fuselage?

Have slightly modified the design of the pylon by using 1/8" ply as supplied which was covered on both sides by 1/8" balsa (grain vertical) and then 1/32" at 45 deg. 

Pylon sits on a 1/8" balsa plate secured to the fuselage structure by 1/4sq strip on the outer edge and 1/2x3/8 against the pylon.

Plan is to glass the pylon using lightweight cloth and then cover the top section of the fuselage onto the pylon with 3/16 sheet rather than the recommended 1/8".

DSC01325 (Medium).JPG

• 1 month later...

Now have the Playboy Senior 100% constructed and find the wing mount rubber bands questionable in terms of the ability to prevent the wing rocking with respect to the fuselage. Is there any improvements that anyone has done to get the wing to seat more securely to the pylon?

17 hours ago, Dad_flyer said:

Do you mean it rocks side to side? Or it is just not tight?

Yes it rocks side to side. To be honest would be even more concerned if it rocked in pitch!

Will try some smaller bands Ken.  Have positioned two tubes just outboard of the first ribs on the main spar to allow a  metal peg to be inserted that will force the bands to go out beyond the pylon but don't think it helps much so not sure I will use them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well can report the Playboy is a very nice flyer with a FS30 with no need for lead up front given I have extended the nose.

Only down side is getting it to track straight on power application on the ground as the undercarriage is very narrow. Tried adding some side thrust today but its not the total answer to the issue.

Certainly does float very well so landings have all had to be engine off.

2 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

Well can report the Playboy is a very nice flyer with a FS30 with no need for lead up front given I have extended the nose.

Only down side is getting it to track straight on power application on the ground as the undercarriage is very narrow. Tried adding some side thrust today but its not the total answer to the issue.

Certainly does float very well so landings have all had to be engine off.

Try some tow-in on the wheels, may or may not help?