Onebuy.com to good to be true?

Robert Parker

Hi All,

I have been considering buying a new camera and came across this website, the prices seem to good to be true. With a saving of 500 pounds compared to traditional camera outlets on the face of it it is a bit of a no brainer.

Anyone out there had any experience of this UK based outlet

Regards

Robert

As a complete alternative I suggest you consider a secondhand digital camera from a reputable UK supplier such as Jessops or Wex.   Easy enough to find a Nikon digital SLR with 24 MP for around 250 to 300 pounds.   Canon with 18 MP for a little less.  Look for the condition -Mint or a 9 - would be best and avoid any that say shows lots of wear.    You get about 14 days to return it if not satisfied.   Stocks seem to vary a lot day to day so keep checking for the model you want.   I would look for lots of Megapixels and maybe a model that is not the latest but one or two models old but in mint condition.   Seems people trade in just to have the latest model!

Camera bodies are often sold separate from lens so check carefully lens is fully compatible ( especially Nikon ) and especially check for Vibration Reduction ( VR) in Nikon and the equivalent in Canon etc.   Probably important in model aircraft photography or anything using long lenses.

Edited by kc

Thanks for your replies, 

in my hast to post I misspelt the name of the company it should be onbuy.com and not as my title onebuy.com. 

The trust pilot reviews, now having read quite a few of them are either 5* or 1* with either items arriving as bought or not arriving at all.

For such an expensive item I may reconsider going back to a main retailer.

But I'll wait for a while to see if there are any other replies

Regards

Robert

You said initially that the " prices seemed too good to be true "  and there is a well known saying about that!    As there seems no mention of where the actual supplier is located  ( on the 1 item I looked at ) it is possible that the prices do  not include UK VAT or import duty etc. 

The shopping basket gave no info on supplier location on the item I checked.    Actually the price for the 1 item I checked ( Nikon D3500) was about  6 pounds  cheaper than Wex who don't actually have it in stock ( but expected soon )  And 26 pound cheaper than Jessops who also await stock.    The out of stock situation was the same a month ago at Jessops and elswhere  when I looked for that item then.    Cheaper yet available when others are out of stock!    Personally I would stick to well known UK stockists.  

It would seem important to check that any quoted price included UK import duty & VAT. If the price for the camera you want is a lot cheaper than UK discount shops then there may be a reason.   It would be awful to find the item came from abroad and you the buyer paid the seller yet couldn't obtain it without paying extra for VAT & duty!