HOUND DOG build

12 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

That is great. As they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!"

You have done a great job.  I shall look  forward to hearing how the test flights went. If you are anywhere near East Anglia the weather should be good tomorrow for test flying.

I am test flying a new model tomorrow too.

I'm in Manchester and the weather is good here too but we are about to go away for Easter and, in addition, have much family stuff going on so the maiden flight will be a while I think. Besides, not being a pro like you guys and not having flown anything for many a month, I think I'll probably have a few practice days first using my beat-up old Acro Watt foamie to get the feel for flying low-wingers again before Hound Dog takes to the air. Hope the test flying goes well - is it something we'll be seeing in the magazine in the future?

I am not sure about being in the magazine.  I lost a lot of the construction photos and have been trying to get them back off the memory card. Also doing the modifications and creating the new version of the plan is not exciting me.  It is an enlargement of one of my old designs,the Velie Monocoupe.  I did start a build blog but seem to be suffering from a chronic failure of the zeal!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have just been shaping the wing tips of my Hound Dog, using the top and side profiles from the plan.

Looking at Mick King's finished model, the wing tips appear almost flat, if they were viewed from the front.

What sort of profile would you recommend?

I was thinking of a semi-circular profile, until I saw the pictures in this thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter,

Just to let you know that I have had quite a few perfect flights now with Hound Dog and it is an absolute pleasure to fly, so docile and well behaved. I have even progressed to some gentle aerobatics - wingovers and stall turns. We have had lots of very still air over recent weeks and I have also enjoyed flying the others in my Peter Miller Fleet - Ohmen and Bootlace. Still finding Ohmen a teeny bit twitchy but Bootlace - she flies just as beautifully as she looks! Great fleet of planes! I have to report that the one piece of advice that you gave me which has made such an improvement to my progress was to replace my simple transmitters with a programable one that includes variable rates for the control surfaces. I bought a Futaba T6K and it is excellent. Starting with low rates has made the world of difference, so thanks for that! My winter project this year will be Ballerina I think, another good looking model. Thanks again for everything and hope you are making the most of the great flying weather too.

Brian

• Like 1

I am glad that you are so happy with Hound Dog. Yes it is much more docile that The Ohmen which is a pretty lively beast (I love it for that reason!)

I club member who built Hound Dog loves it too, he also likes more docile models.

You will also love Ballerina,  It was a mass build subject and I don't think anyone didn't love that model.  

You might also consider Oodalally as a future project.  I recently built  another one for electric power.

On 08/06/2023 at 10:33, johno342 said:

I'm struggling to get the cockpit windshield looking right - I wonder if you could provide a template to help me cut a decent shaped piece of acetate?

Hi johno. Look around for some clear packing plastic like the stuff you get on Christmas cracker boxes etc. Cut a piece large enough to cover the windscreen area. Now pull into position after triming curve for the cowling part in fron of the windscreen. Using a chinegraph pencil ( sort of a soft wax pencil) mark out the dize and shape to give you the correct overlap. Now cut out and check fit and if ok use as template for the proper one. 

Using this method you can see what your marking to 

Dont be tempted to use the template as the packing plastic sheet used seems to be un-glueable. It used to be easily glueable but newer stuff is impervious to cyano or most other glues , unless of course your lucky to find a plastic that glue will work on .

I use PTEG  sheet  for screens as it glues easily and is tough.