Model shops in Canterbury over the years.

Warning of an imminent nostalgia moment!

I was reading an old magazine article about Vic Smeed, (the very famous designer, writer, editor etc.} It mentioned that he founded the Canterbury Pilgrims Model Flying Club (of which I was a member for many years} and that he opened a model shop in Canterbury after WWII . Though I lived near Canterbury and went to school in the town I am too young to remember anything of this shop. Does anyone have any knowledge or memories of the shop or where it was?

All the model shops in the town closed some years ago now. Though I don't remember Vic Smeed's shop, I do remember frequenting the following ones that did proper model supplies/rc models:

• Barretts toy/hobby department in St Geoges. Bought my first engine there- a DC Sabre (60s - 80s) Allegedly the shop had the biggest toy/hobby department outside of London??
  • Canterbury Models in Butchery Lane. (An excellent shop before the great fire!)
  • Northgate Models (handicrafts on the ground floor and models upstairs)
  • Meers (Mostly industrial supplies but they opened  model section for a brief while)
  • Elite Models. (Bought a JR 10X radio from them in 2000)

Have I missed one?

Edited by David Ovenden