Popham Model Airshow 21/08/21 to 22/08/21

I’m taking a group tomorrow so would be interested to hear from anyone who went to the show today. 

First of all, I hope you didn’t get too wet - even this morning there was no agreement between the various forecasters.

The show is billed as starting at 10am. I assume this is the start of the airshow itself but I could find info about when the gates open.

We’re still trying to decide how self-sufficient to be on the provisions front - What were the queues like at lunchtime for the airfield cafe and the vans?

Thanks in anticipation,

Trevor

I’d echo that - and thanks for your contributions to the flying too, Dom. The mix of models flown was excellent, as was the general relaxed atmosphere to the event, including the ladies who ferried us to and from the car park in the golf buggies!

As others have said, the trade presence was a bit disappointing but understandably so. Hopefully this will pick up as the show becomes established.

• Like 1

Opted for the Sunday due forecast. Impressed by the the variety of models displayed and quality of the flying.

Yes the trade row was a little lacking but give it a few years to bed in, Blackbushe was the same at first. That said no local clubs involved either, maybe next year there will be more interest.

Good site, the layout works well. Been to other events at Popham, and they always seem to be well organised and parking is easy.

I think, hope this will grow into a respected annual event.

• Like 2

Short post to share that ALL our videos from the Popham Model Show 2021 have now been uploaded to the 'Essential RC' YouTube channel. We will make these public over the next few days and weeks as part of our daily publishing schedule.

Members who joined the channel to support us get access to all videos immediately. Click here to join > https://www.youtube.com/c/EssentialRC/join

Popham Model Show 2021 video playlist here > https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8iHs7pgHqAao4wYW8nXUw9j3Hn0Jl-wS

Note that we did a lot of flying ourselves at the Show so didn't film everything. Difficult to do both !

FIRST RC SHOW SOLO !.png

Low.png

YAK 54.png

60%.png

F-16.png

RJ Aeroteam (1).png

Glider Tow 1.png

Airwolf.png

RJ.png

AirWorld BAe Hawk.png

WATER PICK-UP.png

RC HALO TRIO.png

AH-1 COBRA ATTACK HELICOPTER.png

FIRST TIME RC SHOW PILOT !.png

STRIKE !.png

FAST !.png

LYNX MK 8.png

Edited by Dom (Essential RC)

Yes, I meant to say that I thought the commentator was generally very good (too often the job seems to go to the chap  who thinks he's god's gift to comedy, which gets rather wearing). It would have been nice to have a few more details on some of the models but of course the commentator can only share whatever information he has been given.

3 hours ago, Trevor said:

Yes, I meant to say that I thought the commentator was generally very good (too often the job seems to go to the chap  who thinks he's god's gift to comedy, which gets rather wearing). It would have been nice to have a few more details on some of the models but of course the commentator can only share whatever information he has been given.

He was doing his best job with not a lot of info. Fundamental mistake was him being 50 yards behind the crowd. We needed him on the flightline so the pilots could talk to him before, during and after their flights. Suspect that's what will happen next year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Walking around the Southampton International Boat Show after filming some large RC powerboats in action and I stumbled across the trade stand for Swellpro. A manufacturer of multirotor aircraft/drone for the marine industry. Didn't know waterproof drones existed! They can take off and land on water and survive full immersion. Makes them suitable for many more applications that your typical drone. Dan of Swellpro UK gave me a quick intro.

Edited by Dom (Essential RC)