Avios Grand Tundra Plus CG

Hi, I need help with trying to set the correct CG for a new Grand Tundra. The HobbyKing online instructions say 75mm to 80mm but two online reviews say 60mm. Ive tried to set it up at 75mm but even with the battery as far back as it will go I’d still have to add weight at the tail, which doesn’t seem right. 

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks

Ashley

I believe I have the CG at 75 - 80mm on my GT. I currently use a 4s 4000mah lipo weighing in at 433g which sits way back under the wing. I didn't add any weight to the tail and it flies just fine. I haven't flown it for a while but I will check it out tomorrow at the field and report back with more accurate info if I can.

Steve.

Hi Ashley,

I can confirm the CG of my GT is at 75mm - 80mm. I have it marked underneath the wings and with the lipo placed according to some marks I've also made in the fuselage the model balances fine. This was only a fingertip test but it confirms my initial thoughts. I do tend to have most of my models balance at the rearward end of the CG range but as I stated in my earlier reply my GT flies very well as I have it set up.

If you have any doubts perhaps you could fly with the CG a little forward to begin with (at 70mm for example) to be safe and then ease it back until you reach a point at which you're comfortable.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Steve.

It’s a big square wing - just use TLAR, bring it forward a smidge from your estimate as a safety margin and fly! ? Alternatively use a CG calculator to check the position in the manual is correct; this is a very conventional model in layout so there’s no reason any of the reputable calculators would be wrong…

https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php

https://rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm

Edited by MattyB

• 1 year later...