Spektrum signal strength

john davidson 1

Following the debate on an Australian transmitter ( which has just been locked) I thought I would compare the out put of an Orange transmitter which I had been given as a freebie with my 3 year old DX6, surprised to find the Orange was about  three times stronger. Has any one else similar experience? Does Orange do this to compensate for what I find to be poor range of their TXs

Signal strength checkers have little value with spread spectrum equipment. The information is transmitted in short bursts, and any field strength reading will be affected not only by the signal strength, but also the length of time of the burst.

There are two main ways of meeting the current regulations (and I know this is an over-simplification, for the sake of example!). One is to "Listen Before Transmitting" - ie, check the channel is clear before transmitting a burst of information on it. The second is to restrict the length of time the transmitter is actually transmitting to 10% or less.

Obviously, a transmitter transmitting for only 10% of the time will give a much lower strength reading than one transmitting more often - even if the actual transmitted signal strength is the same.

Beware of applying 27/35 MHz thinking to 2.4 GHz! They are as different as chalk and cheese!

--

Pete

22 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

Just remembered that the signal checker had a note to the effect that DSM2 appeared stronger than DSMX which would explain it!

As " Range " is of interest to you John, you should delve deeper into radio operation.

Something for you to conjure with, the receiver probably plays a big or bigger part in " range " at the field, than our transmitters.