Diacov 1000 covering advice sought

Sparks

My Maricardo build is finally getting near to the covering stage (it's been a long slow build!) and I am thinking of trying out Diacov 1000 as sold by Sarik.

For this model, I would prefer a 'linen' finish similar to Solartex/Oratex rather than the shiny alternatives.

Any tips from those who have used Diacov 1000? 

e.g. Is it advantageous to use the likes of Balsa Loc/Cover Grip around the edges of wings/fuselages etc?

How about overlaps, does the covering stick to itself, or does something like Primol help?

Any other do's and dont's?

• Like 1

well i have for a while now used the non glue version Diatex 1000 and used cover grip to stick it down, its very strong and stable(doesn't wrinkle like solartex did)

As for diacov it has the heat glue already applied and it is very good and sticks to itself very well without help as well as metal wood.

you don't need dope to seal it just straight on Polyurethane or KlasKote paint. 

• Like 1

I've used Diacov on a few models, it does stick really well so you don't really need Balsa Loc etc, I have so far only covered vintage gliders and electric models, but club mate has covered a 1/4 scale Piper Cub with it (not yet flown). I have used the Chroma paint on mine and that goes on well, club mate has used Klasskote and that went on well. Another club mate has covered another vintage glider (Pik5B featured in RCME last year) and used a varnish to finish it.

Only hint I can give is to make sure you have good scissors and a sharp knife or you'll get frayed edges, it seems much more puncture resistant than Solartex/Oratex, but I guess as it's based on Diatex used on full size light aircraft it has to be.

Thanks flight1 and Frank, that's useful information.

The width of the Diacover 1000 roll is 73.5cm compared to Oratex 60cm and is just right for covering each wing half of the Maricardo so I'll order some and give it a try.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably depends on wheather you need a fuel proof finish . Many car paints claim to be petrol resistant but E10 fuel will melt them almost like thinners due to high ethanol content . Does Diacov need sealing first  ? If it doesnt then 2K aerosols are available from car paint factors and are fuel resistant . A  2K laquer should be fuel proof.

2K paints are harmful by inhalation and skin contact so wear proper mask and gloves and work in good ventilation or outside.

• 1 month later...