Sea Fury 77 inch

Hi Nick, not got round to the tab yet. I had to modify the plan a bit because the design is for a shrouded rudder which I have shied away from. This explains the `double tailpost` to put the hinge line in the right place and allowed me to use the half ribs from the plan.

The holes were cut with a diamond tipped cutter in the pillar drill, about £4 posted from China at the time. 10 of them from 6-30mm and fantastic on ply. Best bargain ever.

Pic to follow, it is on another pc.

It was not the shrouds or the rounded bits which gave me trouble on my Chippy but the flimsy wobbly hinges and short internal linkages. Because of the lack of centring I have left the hinges as is but reverted to a normal control surface horn on the flaps which because of the large movement would literally `flap about` around neutral.

Got my cutters on ebay after seeing them on another thread here. Supposed to cut metal too but I don`t want to ruin them.

More problems. Before fitting the tail and fin I checked the fus. alignment from the wing to tail end which before sheeting was within 1mm. Not anymore so I have had to remove the wing bolt plate and am making a new one to compensate. I have very carefully measured the wing to tail incidence from the plan and in this case it would seem that the tail is -2 deg. with respect to the wing which sounds about right. I just hate glueing tails in place because there are so many variables to consider. I have a laser incidence meter but don`t know as yet if it will cope with the wing chord.

The rear sheeting is complete but because of the construction ended up as a patchwork quilt. Tailwheel cut out done but as you can see from the drawing there is no detail shown so I have done it as simply as possible with no operating doors because I did that on my Mustang and it was not worth the effort. I really wanted an enclosed pull-pull horn on the elevators but since my hinge line is now on the tail TE it proved to be impractical so shall use external horns.

The rear end of the fairings may be next. Again, some of the plan formers seem to be from an entirely different model so I shall have to work with what I have and come up with something.

10 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Trying to insert images after each bit of text but cannot get it to allow me to write more after an image

There are two ways have I have found.

Write the text ending with a Carriage Return/Enter (CR) to go to the next line. 

Drag and drop an image to the CR.

The image will be displayed and if you look closely you will see the cursor flashing to the right of the image.

Press CR at least once, more for more space.

Write your text ending with a CR.

and repeat.

The other way is similar but select all your images and drag them into the paperclip area at the bottom and select them one at a time.

Both take practice to get it to work consistently but I found the first easiest but more long winded than the second way.

When adding images the editor is looking for a CR if there is not one at the end of the last sentence it places the image in the middle of the text as you probably have seen in multiple posts.

The flashing cursor is the key to where the next image will be placed just use CR to place the image where you want it.

Now getting on with the fairings. Nowhere near enough 1/64th ply so had to make a 50 mile round trip to Al`s Hobbies where I also picked up a pilot figure. A 24" length did not make such a big hole in my wallet as was expected.

I made several card templates before deciding on what would actually fit before cutting ply. Just need to fit the rear underside of the l/h one then I shall post pics. It will need a little filler here and there on the bits which refused to conform but does not look too bad to me. No way that I could see it being possible to make to the rough outline shown on the plan.

I give in trying to insert text between pics. Sorry about the double take.

Filled in between F1&2 but have left a gap to get fuel proofer in since I can see this area getting filled with oil. May need a drain hole in the bottom of the cowl rear.

The cowl seems to be a good fit but may need to relieve the sheeting a little to allow for the glass skin.

Fin strake has been fitted and the first coat of filler added.

Sea Fury 77 inch 061.jpg

Sea Fury 77 inch 063.jpg

Sea Fury 77 inch 062.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I give in trying to insert text between pics.

You nearly did it right. I can see you hit the return key to create an extra line. Try again but with say five returns then drag the photo over by moving up and down you will see it selecting different cursor positions for the drop. Just spaces between photos does help the readability, helps me focus one one photo at a time. Not really a problem though.

Have run into a big problem. There is a severe warp in the right wing tip. At first I thought that it may just be the aileron (which is already glassed) so I modified it a bit to fit the wing. The problem with the plan I am building from is that instead of the normal linear taper of the rib thickness from root to tip, these follow an arc so there is really nothing to pin down flat. Of course, you do not find this out until it is too late, otherwise I would have redrawn the ribs in Profili. There are building tabs on the ribs but some of the thicknesses of them are miles out.

I shall attempt to force the thing into position using ammonia, some saw cuts and very heavy weights, otherwise it will have to be a complete section removed and rebuilt.

I have now glassed the fairings, side pods,tail, underside of fus., fin, rudder, elevators, wing, flaps and ailerons. I re weighed the wing plus flappy bits and the 25g glass has only added 7oz. The flaps and ailerons have been coated with my witches brew then grey primer and flatted down. Some filler needed but so far so good.

Busy weekend Martin! That’s a lot if glass clothing. Re the KST servos, I have been worrying a little about the resin filled output arm on my RDS set up, so have ordered a pair of the alloy discs as per the ones David H had sourced on ebay. I also bought a pair of heavier duty KST mini servos with 3 extra kg of torque each and I shall keep the lighter duty ones for a smaller model.