Lightweight filler from DIY stores seems to have changed!

Dave funny you should mention that. I've had a similar problem recently.

I purchased some One strike filler but had to get the gun version as they had no tubs in stock. Filled and sanded perfectly.

I purchased another couple of tubes 2 weeks later and the consistency seemed more creamy. It hasn't dried as well as the first batch and when sanding seems to produce rolls of filler under the block ... as if it had PVA in it.

Just going to pick up some Red devil from toolstation and give that a go.

Pollyfilla Advanced.   Pre-mixed, light, goes on easily and finishes quickly, fast drying, sands very easily, takes next coating/film/glass readily.

Expensive, not just as readily available as some other Polycell products, not needed to buy for 2 yrs so cannot swear that the gremlins haven't "improved" the recipie.

Infinitely superior to specific lightweight model filler.

BTC

• Like 1

I've had problems making up a reliable 'sauce' mix (filler, wbp, talc). Sometimes it goes bobbly, and I wonder if it's because I didn't mix it well. I've also had problems with air bubbles when rejuvenating an hour old mix with some water. wondered about sticking the mix in a vacuum pot, although this seems a bit extreme.

Whilst we are talking about fillers (very useful recommendations thanks all) has anyone tried colouring these lightweight fillers to match balsa/ply and if so what did you use? I want a natural varnish finish on a current project but need to use a bit of filler in one or two places and white would just look horrible.

MTIA

idd

For most jobs I now use Ronseal  WooFill. It's a two pack ,sets very quickly, sands easily , is strong,a comes in white or biege colours. A little heavier but good for small quick filling jobs enabling you tocrack on and not wait ages for filler to set. Works well on most foams but not polystyrene foam .

Stores OK provided lid is properly fitted will keep a couple of years. Only mix what you can use as working time varies from 5 to 10 min depending on  temperature.

• Like 1

So I tried a little experiment to colour some lightweight Polycell filler and am quite pleased with the results. I used a tiny amount of raw sienna (about 1/2 a match head) water colour paint to a large dollop of the filler and got a reasonable match to the balsa. After sanding the filler was almost invisible and it sanded as easily as ever. However, after applying some sanding sealer it is a little more obvious but a lot less so than if it was white. As I've now decided to do a tissue finish I'm hoping the filler will all but disappear again.

Cheers

idd

PXL_20210829_160945538.jpg

PXL_20210829_161756209.jpg

• 6 months later...

Any further thoughts on ready mixed lightweight filler.

I notice the Red Devil filler says no sanding required, I'm suspicious when it says this as it also says this on the Onestrike filler I bought recently which has changed formulation and is now rubbery and doesn't sand nicely.

I shall go for Pollyfilla Avanced unless this has changed also. It doesn't say anything about sanding on the pack so is this a good sign?

A positive for this season, is that it is no longer a no-brainer to simply select Mercedes and Lewis, Then put together the best low value driver and car, you could judge. In the past the real challenge was the fastest lap, pole etc.

In my case I was just average. That was knowing that the front row would have Lewis somewhere there and that more often than not, Lewis would also have fastest lap, as the fuel load would go down.

Now, which team and driver are already a bit of a conundrum, both immediately and later in the season.

3 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

A positive for this season, is that it is no longer a no-brainer to simply select Mercedes and Lewis, Then put together the best low value driver and car, you could judge. In the past the real challenge was the fastest lap, pole etc.

In my case I was just average. That was knowing that the front row would have Lewis somewhere there and that more often than not, Lewis would also have fastest lap, as the fuel load would go down.

Now, which team and driver are already a bit of a conundrum, both immediately and later in the season.

I've never heard Lewis Hamilton being described as a Lightweight Filler before, but I suppose it's true. ??

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Any further thoughts on ready mixed lightweight filler.

I notice the Red Devil filler says no sanding required, I'm suspicious when it says this as it also says this on the Onestrike filler I bought recently which has changed formulation and is now rubbery and doesn't sand nicely.

I shall go for Pollyfilla Avanced unless this has changed also. It doesn't say anything about sanding on the pack so is this a good sign?

I think the Red Devil 'no sanding' is a sales pitch aimed at when it is used on a house wall etc, you can smooth it out with a spreader so that little or no sanding is needed. In a modelling context I just slap it on & sand it down. I found it sands fine, it is quite crisp and not rubbery. I used it a couple of weeks ago on a Tiger Moth I'm building.