Spektrum NX-Series

Mitchell Howard

I'm in the market for a move away from my user unfriendly Radiolink AT10ii, and what seems like perhaps 65-75% of members at my club are flying Spektrum. I see the NX series, announced late last year and shipping from March this year are the replacements for the DX line (apart from DX6e and DX8e, I think also DX18?). Obviously, those currently being used aren't going to fall over or stop being supported repair-wise, but I do read elsewhere that feature developments will stop and only proceed on NX. It seems there's a new processor in the NX that allows Spektrum to continue developing features that the gen 2 radios don't have the grunt to support.

Has anyone bought one of these yet? I'm struggling with the necessity of the 10-channel NX10 vs 8-channel NX8, the myriad Spektrum marketing terms (AS3X, SAFE, SMART) and how to determine compatibility on the Telemetry side of things. The smart stuff looks like it's an expensive way to do things that are often already available, and sometimes just plain pointless. Receivers are another minefield. I think the AR6610T is the most economical way to fly standard club models, but I can't be certain. The comparison sheets make my brain hurt!

Rx compare.pdf Telemetry compat.pdf Tx compare.pdf

A newbie at out club has the NX6 and it seems fine in terms of its functionality, but to be honest I much prefer my (old) Spektrum DX9.  Reasons (compared to my DX9):-   the voice system is barely audible even at full volume, the screen is very hard to read in daylight (and changing the colours doesn't help).   Also I don't like the On/Off switch mechanism.  There appears to be also some issue with them refusing to charge (which has been raised on some forums) and my clubmate has had this issue which requires disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it after a short pause.  I would certainly not recommend any of the DX's suffixed with an "e" as they leave out some of the most desirable features.  I believe the DX9 is still available and if my current one packed up that's what I would go for.

As far as receivers go, there are Lemon DSMX-compatible receivers both with and without telemetry which are excellent and much less expensive for similar features.  They do compatible stabilised receivers too.  

Mitchell, why do you say the Radiolink is user unfriendly? is it the programming?

If you are looking at the NX10 the maybe the Futaba 10J is another option, or the Jeti DS12 which is not a whole lot more and you can easily add the future features you'd like, and the telemetry is simple and first rate (and I'm a Multiplex user ? ) 

The AR620 and AR410 are what you want for sport flying.

Telemetry, DX7, DX8, TM1100 are old transmitters and telemetry modules with limited compatibility to newer stuff. Otherwise most everything is compatible with most everything else. The reason lots of sensors are "not compatible" with some receivers is usually because the receiver just flat out doesn't have a socket for it.

1 hour ago, Romeo Whisky said:

A newbie at out club has the NX6 and it seems fine in terms of its functionality, but to be honest I much prefer my (old) Spektrum DX9.  Reasons (compared to my DX9):-   the voice system is barely audible even at full volume, the screen is very hard to read in daylight (and changing the colours doesn't help).   Also I don't like the On/Off switch mechanism.  There appears to be also some issue with them refusing to charge (which has been raised on some forums) and my clubmate has had this issue which requires disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it after a short pause.  I would certainly not recommend any of the DX's suffixed with an "e" as they leave out some of the most desirable features.  I believe the DX9 is still available and if my current one packed up that's what I would go for.

As far as receivers go, there are Lemon DSMX-compatible receivers both with and without telemetry which are excellent and much less expensive for similar features.  They do compatible stabilised receivers too.  

Hi RW - I wonder what software version the NX6 is on, and I wonder what the volume setting is? I'm sure I've read on the RCG forum that the NX speaker is improved over DX, a post by the lead developer no less.

47 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Mitchell, why do you say the Radiolink is user unfriendly? is it the programming?

If you are looking at the NX10 the maybe the Futaba 10J is another option, or the Jeti DS12 which is not a whole lot more and you can easily add the future features you'd like, and the telemetry is simple and first rate (and I'm a Multiplex user ? ) 

To me at least, the UI is clumsy and unintuitive - I've had 3 instances I can readily recall that have left me feeling like something's wrong/broken/missing;

1. Alarms are not settable/distinguishable from one another - I can't tell if there's a timer gone off, the Tx voltage low, RSSI warning, flight pack voltage low. It's frustrating, particularly as the manual says customisable alarms are settable. I've actually contacted the factory in China and they've ignored that part of the message. I'm looking for audible alerts for things like flaps too which it really can't do. I understand that Futaba only give you audible alerts on the much more expensive sets.
  2. When setting up flaperons, I could setup and trim the ailerons without flaps engaged (as you would), but upon turning flaperons on, both the end point and neutral position of both ailerons changes. There was also a buried setting that needed to be activated (which I still don't understand) that asks you to choose ch5+6 or ch6+7. I chose 5+6, but I use 1 and 5 for two-servo wing. Very odd. There are phrases in the manual like, "it is easier to use differential for flaperons, instead of the flaperon setting" (I paraphrase). When I did reach a passable solution, the flaps couldn't be brought up to 0deg to start applying travel in the field. They were stuck at ~10% travel. There's nowhere that lets you change the deployment speed of the flaps. I recall but can't explain clearly a submenu that allowed me to adjust aileron endpoints, but wouldn't let me adjust both servos, it was like only one was there. Even thought it's now clumsily implemented, I don't fancy undoing the hours of work it took to get it into this usable condition, just to try again. I guess I could start a new model, but why bother when there's easier solutions out there with added benefits.
  3. When setting DR/expo, you have to set values for each side of the surface manually, and for each of the rates. An example, say I've got a new model and I have a triple rate switch. I have 100%, 75% and 50% rates. To set those, I have to wind the scroll wheel to 75%, then nudge the stick left or right to have the other side selected, then roll to 75% on that. Then repeat for the 50%. Then repeat again for neg expo.

I'm going to go Spektrum, I want that userbase both at the club and online, the 2nd and 3rd party support, the BNF models from 1st and 3rd parties, plus the used market for DSMX receivers and seemingly high quality Orange, Lemon and FrSky receivers. A minor point, but one that affects my enjoyment is the feeling of holding something more substantial/well-made.

Edited by Mitchell Howard
Clarity

4 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

The AR620 and AR410 are what you want for sport flying.

Telemetry, DX7, DX8, TM1100 are old transmitters and telemetry modules with limited compatibility to newer stuff. Otherwise most everything is compatible with most everything else. The reason lots of sensors are "not compatible" with some receivers is usually because the receiver just flat out doesn't have a socket for it.

I've seen a ~£53 lump, the AR6610T - it has a port on called 'Volt' which I gather is designed to take a direct connection to the flight-pack. I've also seen what looks like a remove voltage 'PCB' that looks like it might plug in to the 'volt' port and act as an intermediary, but I can't tell really. I think I might have to pick a receiver manual and see what it expects to be connected and how. I was hoping a balance connector could go on the LiPo and wire the two outer wires straight to the 'Volt' port.

1 hour ago, Mitchell Howard said:

To me at least, the UI is clumsy and unintuitive - I've had 3 instances I can readily recall that have left me feeling like something's wrong/broken/missing;

1. Alarms are not settable/distinguishable from one another - I can't tell if there's a timer gone off, the Tx voltage low, RSSI warning, flight pack voltage low. It's frustrating, particularly as the manual says customisable alarms are settable. I've actually contacted the factory in China and they've ignored that part of the message. I'm looking for audible alerts for things like flaps too which it really can't do. I understand that Futaba only give you audible alerts on the much more expensive sets.
  2. When setting up flaperons, I could setup and trim the ailerons without flaps engaged (as you would), but upon turning flaperons on, both the end point and neutral position of both ailerons changes. There was also a buried setting that needed to be activated (which I still don't understand) that asks you to choose ch5+6 or ch6+7. I chose 5+6, but I use 1 and 5 for two-servo wing. Very odd. There are phrases in the manual like, "it is easier to use differential for flaperons, instead of the flaperon setting" (I paraphrase). When I did reach a passable solution, the flaps couldn't be brought up to 0deg to start applying travel in the field. They were stuck at ~10% travel. There's nowhere that lets you change the deployment speed of the flaps. I recall but can't explain clearly a submenu that allowed me to adjust aileron endpoints, but wouldn't let me adjust both servos, it was like only one was there. Even thought it's now clumsily implemented, I don't fancy undoing the hours of work it took to get it into this usable condition, just to try again. I guess I could start a new model, but why bother when there's easier solutions out there with added benefits.
  3. When setting DR/expo, you have to set values for each side of the surface manually, and for each of the rates. An example, say I've got a new model and I have a triple rate switch. I have 100%, 75% and 50% rates. To set those, I have to wind the scroll wheel to 75%, then nudge the stick left or right to have the other side selected, then roll to 75% on that. Then repeat for the 50%. Then repeat again for neg expo.

I've not tried a Radiolink Tx but what you describe above is fairly typical of some of the Chinese transmitters on the market, you do get the feeling that how a feature was used by the pilot wasn't really understood and that the programming sometimes felt that it was released before it was finished/tested.

1 hour ago, Mitchell Howard said:

I've seen a ~£53 lump, the AR6610T - it has a port on called 'Volt' which I gather is designed to take a direct connection to the flight-pack. I've also seen what looks like a remove voltage 'PCB' that looks like it might plug in to the 'volt' port and act as an intermediary, but I can't tell really. I think I might have to pick a receiver manual and see what it expects to be connected and how. I was hoping a balance connector could go on the LiPo and wire the two outer wires straight to the 'Volt' port.

Reading the instructions,  while old fashioned, still has advantages. I seem to remember, people passed examinations, on their ability to remember instructions.

I run stuff a generation older, cos it’s not broken. But the instructions from mine covers that. 

Thinking a bit, I have a feeling for your point. Stuff nowadays don’t have good, bug proofed instructions. And without instructions you can rely on, I remember a favorite falling to earth, because to this day, Spectrum voltage instructions confuse low battery warning, with the transmitter shutting down, no volts to power the main board.

Edited by Don Fry

3 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Reading the instructions,  while old fashioned, still has advantages. I seem to remember, people passed examinations, on their ability to remember instructions.

I run stuff a generation older, cos it’s not broken. But the instructions from mine covers that. 

Thinking a bit, I have a feeling for your point. Stuff nowadays don’t have good, bug proofed instructions. And without instructions you can rely on, I remember a favorite falling to earth, because to this day, Spectrum voltage instructions confuse low battery warning, with the transmitter shutting down, no volts to power the main board.

i honestly don’t know what to say - the instructions for every single computer radio I’ve ever owned going back to the early 90s (JR, Hitec, Futaba, Multiplex and Frsky) have all been uniformly rubbish! Typos, mistakes and terrible translations have always been prevalent in RC instructions, it’s just the nature of the relatively small market and companies producing them.

In days of old the gap between the factory manual and competent use was filled by aftermarket books; now it is forums, YouTube and social platforms. I am a huge fan of the power and flexibility of the open source systems, but if the only support for them had been documentation from the Devs they’d have flopped long ago despite their advantages. Besides, a written manual is not really workable any more given RC gear (and every other consumer electronic device) is regularly updated with new functionality throughout its lifecycle. Personally I much prefer using forums and YouTube to the previous model, but whether you do or not they are now a key part of the support model for any modern electronic product.

Edited by MattyB