Switching to electric gliders from fixed wing large scale electrics

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Start with 2:1 aileron diff at minimum; flaps need to be able to go up a few mm for reflex (speed) flight mode and as far down as you can get (at least 45 degrees, ideally 60-70) for crow. This will normally require a horn position offset significantly towards one end of the throw (I.e not perpendicular to the wrong skin).

Just for clarification, I am talking about the servo horn here, not the aileron horn - apologies if that wasn’t immediately obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

The manual shows a screw fitted to the front of the canopy opening to allow a notch on the actual canopy to catch on to. Not sure I am fond of that idea but I did cyano it in. I won't be able to finish that part until the canopy is dry. I may have to alter the elastic band arrangement on the rear of the canopy to allow for securing. More about that later!

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

No here's my problem. Looking at the manual the rear fixing of the canopy looks, to say the least, unreliable as the photos depict. That's even if I understood it!

I did think I could source a spring hatch latch from my recently smashed up Extra 330SC to see if I could make a better job of it. I think I could fit it to the top of the fuselage in line with the hatch. We'll see ....

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

If you can understand those instructions you are doing well! I don't fully, but I agree that method looks unreliable - stick to a simple dowel/springy hook of some type at the front and a decent latch mechanism at the back Definitely ditch the elastic band idea!

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Next, I fitted out with velcro tape for the lipo location. It can also be seen the reason why I had to used socket head screws rather than the supplied butterfly head bolts. They would have fouled on the fuselage former. I have had to put my thinking cap in to decide where to locate the RX. It will probably be on the port side towards the rear, but I will need to play around with it. The last job later will be to set the EPA on all surfaces.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Adrian, if you could replace the wing retaining bolt with a plastic one that may help in an "arrival" breaking instead of pulling the bolt through the fuselage or the fixing out of the wing root. 

None of my gliders using a wing retaining bolt, they either use the wing snap locks e.g. Multiplex Multilock or just a rubber band between the wings, these will both give in case you happen to do a one wing low landing.

• Like 1