Switching to electric gliders from fixed wing large scale electrics

Regarding motors and props, please do not forget that you do not have to use full throttle so you may get by with using a bigger prop on a lower throttle setting.

I did use a 12 x 10 folding prop on a small 2822 motor. Way over propped but with it throttle well back it took my 100" glider up easily.

On 02/10/2021 at 10:15, Adrian Smith 1 said:

I have dug out my wattmeter that was used on my 60cc & 100cc electrics to good effect. I know it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut at 180amp rating, but hopefully it will do. I have got to re-solder the connectors on it to match the ESC and lipos of course...

No need to change the main connectors - just make up a pair of conversion leads:

PXL_20211004_200600200.thumb.jpeg.08a5bad44074e0bd7836cfe489773515.jpeg

Managed to finish one wing and thread the servo wires through.

I've illustrated here the measure of woodwork required to fit the servos using small blocks to raise the servo level. I therefore have a made start of the second wing more to do though.

One thing, off at a tangent, the motor fitting looks to be fun by way of a tight fit. I also think I will be needing some  longer screws to attach the motor through the thickish motor wall. Where is the best place to look for those do you reckon?

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

I think I have found what I am after from modelfixings, Jonathan. Thank's for reminding me.

I did speak to Gliders UK about fitting the motor as it looks to be a challenge with my "fat fingers". The guy said it's doable using the recommended motor that I purchased ...... Hmmmmm we will see. I will post some photos of the scope of the job when I go back up the work shop. I know some ARTF gliders you are able to temporarily remove (screwed in) the battery, etc tray to allow access to the front of the fuselage. Mine is not one of those as it's glued in therefore not an option to remove. 

Having reached the flying field I managed about two flights before the murk came down again, therefore nothing for it other than to retire to the work shop.

I decided before completing the starboard wing I would see wha could be done with the motor. No point putting off a fiddly job. The motor wall is drilled out to accept 2.5cms +/- bolt centres on a chosen motor. As can be seen not a lot of space. I found a long enough M3 bolt as a guiding rod. I decided to make the ESC / motor connections first as I didn't think it would very easy after bolting the motor in.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

After much fiddling about I couldn't line the 4 motor bolt holes up. Out it all came to have a look. Well the bolt holes are set two at 2.5 cm centres and two at 2 cms !! No wonder I was having a problem. The fix for this was to open up and elongate the width of two of the motor holes with a needle file so that 2 cms centres could be accommodated. The most convenient way to position the ESC wires was to under feed then below the motor. I will have to stick some duct tape on the wires to ensured they don't foul on the rotating motor. I decided align the motor up using 4 long M3 bolts and take them out one by one when I screw in the motor bolts. As the motor casing seems to be metal I guess using blue thread locker should fine. 

IMG_0324.jpg

Adrian, have you made sure the motor is rotating in the correct direction ?

I wouldn't bother with thread lock as there's should not be any vibration from the motor, prop or spinner (if there is you'll need to eliminate it), however I would fit washers to guard against the bulkhead wood crushing.   

Fortunately, PatMc I have a dedicated programming card for the Overlander ESC which I know works and has a reverse rotation setting. Therefore I shouldn't need to get to the wires again soon. So yes I will have to check the rotation. Belt and braces for me as I have some M3 shake proof washers, but I take your point.

IMG_0297.jpg

• Like 1

Aha! I knew I could find a use for my hot glue gun that has sat in a draw for yonks. Thanks Geoff, I will give it a go and report back.

Something that crossed my mind having been used to big electrics is there are no ventilation provisions in the nose of the glider. I am not sure how crucial that is in something of this size/power.

Well you don't want the motor to overheat, but motors in gliders are often run for short periods to gain height then shut down for lengthy periods while gliding. This heating-cooling cycle is often good enough, but a temperature check after short climbs during an initial few flights should help confirm this. It is also a good opportunity to check battery consumption and figure out likely motor/flight times. 

Dick

• Like 1

I managed today to fit my chosen screws to the motor, align and tighten.  Next I thought I would run the motor to check the direction. To do this I put some coloured tape on the shaft so I could see it. As I am using a Futaba TX the throttle channel has to be reversed for the throttle to work in the right sense. Using the ESC tones I then calibrated the throttle stick range and tested. All good with only the motor direction needing to be reversed using the programming card.

I have some spares prop blades of 10x8 and 10x6 along with the folding prop which is 11x7. Interestingly the spec on the model's box shows as required a 4S 2200 mAh Lipo, 11x7 folding prop and a 40amp esc, which goes against some opinions on here. Anyway I will test the set up with my ammeter using the different props.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Yes, if it is the prop assembly I think it is (see photo) you need to remove the spinner, put the correct size insert on to your motor shaft, slide the prop assembly over that insert and tighten up the nut.

If it is not that prop then a photo of the inside of the spinner would help.

Dick

prop assembly.jpg