The spirit of model flying

I went to Ivinghoe today for some slope soaring.

I had arranged to meet a friend there and when I arrived there was some chaps already flying from the car park slope. By coincidence these were chaps from Essex whom we'd met the last time we were at the Beacon.

My friend arrived and we had a few flights from the car park slope. I had a recently built NCFM M60 and my buddy had a Wildthing and a Lidl conversion. The lift was a bit variable so we decided to bite the bullet and trek to the top of the Beacon. My ticker doesn't always want to do the same things as me so climbs like that mean I have to stop half-way up to get my breath back.

Anyway, the breeze at the top gave us great lift on the north face. I'd only managed to ascertain the right CG and throws the last time I flew the M60 so, having adjusted the CG at home, this was my first opportunity to see what it could do. I was having to learn what I could do with it too. Straight off it flew straight out, gained height and, with just one click of down to trim, I started exploring the envelope. A touch of down had it instantly speeding up and easing off had it climbing like a homesick angel so then I started doing loops, rolls and speed runs.

At one point I pushed out from the slope to see how far out the lift was and it climbed steadily in front of me then I saw it just waggle a tiny bit so I started circling and, as I hoped, it thermalled away above and behind me to speck-out point. This gave me good height to do a good series of high speed aerobatics before landing for a cuppa. Brilliant.

All the other chaps had great flights too with a good variety of models. We saw a Radian being flown further along the ridge and he came and joined us. I suddenly realised he was keeping it inverted while he sat relaxed on the grass, not bad for a rudder/elevator model.

Several day-trippers enjoyed watching and asked quite a few questions. There was plenty of banter and one of the chaps flying was a magician and kept a couple of us amused with a very impressive display of sleight of hand.

My buddy and I left and got back to the car park in time to get an ice cream from the van.

What a wonderful day with great friends and what a wonderful hobby, I'm still smiling.?

• Like 6