Binding Spektrum DX6i TX with a Spektrum AR6200 RX using ESC/Lipo as a power source?

Skippers Walker

The RX has to be suitably powered to bind. If the ESC has BEC its throttle connection also caries a regulated 5V supply. 

To bind.

Insert the bind plug in the RX bind port. Connect power to the RX first, most likely it will show a rapidly flashing LED, then holding the Trainer switch on, switch on DX6i. After a few seconds the LED will stop flashing and remain permanently on (if there are any servo connected they will also center) and the bind is complete. If the LED remains flashing or goes out the bind has failed. Sart again from the beginning.

If the bind has been successful release the Trainer switch, remove the power from the RX and then switch off the DX6i. Remove the bind plug from the Rx.

Sometimes the bind fails if the TX is too close to the RX. Keep about 2M away.  

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Thanks 1

Skippers

The manual is showing a typical IC powered set up where it is common to use a RC battery with a switch mounted externally.

Using an ESC with BEC everything is off when the battery is removed. ?

With a second hand DX6i be aware the Tx aerial is a bit delicate. The wire that runs up throught the aerial flexible joint is very delicate and easily gets broken if the joint is accidentally pulled apart. It is interesting that when the DX8 came out second hand DX6i were pretty cheap but now despite them being long out of production prices are rising as people realise just how good a 'simple' computer radio it was.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you Simon for your advice, I'll certainly pay attention to the aerial.

I obtained the almost new condition Spektrum RX & two AR6220 RXs plus a couple of Futaba servos from a chap who had quickly lost interest in aeromodelling.

One Rx was still in its box! I'm a fairly recent convert to 2.4Ghz equipment, transiting through the years from a Skyleader 27Mhz outfit (1970's) to my previous Fleet 35Mhz set up. I certainly embrace simplicity and do not require the complex 'bells and whistles' offered on some many modern bits of electronic kit today.

Prevailing upon you knowledge just one more time; the DX6i offers 10 'memories', is it therefore possible to use the same Rx for more than one model registered, presumably re binding the Rx on each memory allocation?

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Chris (SW)

Hi Skippers and yes you could have say 10 models and their setting in each model memory in the TX, then just keep rebinding each time, but you would be missing a very important and beneficial feature.

When your Speky TX binds with a RX it locks it to that model in the memory, if you select the wrong model or TX model memory it will just NOT connect....this is absolute, so you can't fly until you have selected the right model on the TX. Does not sound much but it means you don't have to mess around setting servos on the model with direction/throw etc 

Other benefits are that trim, throws, expo, mixes, throttle hold and other settings are all set per model so you fine tune each model in its model memory settings.

For the cost and convenience I have a RX in each model and enjoy the features of model match. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, you can use the same receiver in different models, but you'll have to rebind each time you change. Also note that with the Dx6i the failsafe is set at binding, so make sure the throttle stick is in the closed position during binding. If it is an IC model and you have to reverse the throttle channel, then you need to rebind so the receiver learns the correct failsafe setting.

I have 2 Dx6is and apart from the breaking trim rockers and roller they have been very good.

• Thanks 1

Skippers

As the others have pointed you can transfer an rx between models but you have to rebind each time you move it. Not a great problem providing you can fairly easily get at the rx but fitting and them removing the bind plug can be quite fiddly if space is limited.

As a genral rule I prefer handle the rx as little as possible once it is in place. The aerial leads tnend to be rather delicate and even the servo plug contacts can become 'iffy' if the plug is flexed too much.  

I would agree it is much easier to have an rx permanently mounted in each model. If you don't like the steep cost of Spektrum receivers and I certainly didnt, there are much cheaper alternatives (like Lemon) that do everyhting I need at about half the price. 

• Thanks 1

I take your point Simon, it has usually been my practice to equip most of my previous models with their own Rx's. The Spektrum DX6i will be used on a limited basis with a fellow Spektrum user essentially as a buddy tool. I'll probably set up no more than a couple of 'trainers' on the Spektrum until becoming, hopefully, able to fly power solo. 

I have flown mainly Slope Soarers and Competitive Thermal gliders for more than 40 years but I'm a relative late comer to power flying...hence the buddy box connection for a while. My main R/C kit is Futaba.

Best wishes

Christopher