My first build, Ballerina

Hello all, this will be my first ever RC build, so please be patient. I have the short kit from Sarik Hobbies and so far the quality looks good. Having read many build blogs, I have confidence that as long as I take my time, I should get there with help of course!

Started the build this morning fitting the ply doublers to the fuselage sides with Impact adhesive, the cut parts require 2x 3mm F1’s to be laminated, no problem, but I have come across my first question, when placing the fus sides on the plan and align F1, the fus sides appear to be too short? I’m guessing that this should not matter too much, but I don’t like guessing ?should I move the fus sides back so the tail feathers will be in the correct position and adjust the cowl to suit, or the other way around?

5E65168C-DA25-4E69-AAD7-E1BB9D032BC0.jpeg

B1A9B0A1-EA91-46CF-B999-5C6EDBD78DA1.jpeg

4DE5760A-E23C-4508-BD71-23A454888FC2.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Steve Goodwin said:

the fus sides appear to be too short?

Yes mine too. It's the plan print is not quite to scale. Work from the front, as you are doing nothing needs changing as it is the plan that  not the parts.

30 minutes ago, Steve Goodwin said:

when placing the fuselage sides on the plan, you cover all the information

That is true, the way I do it is to mark the former positions on the fuselage sides then I do not need to build over the plan.

Also only the formers that are at right angles can be fitted with one fuselage side laid flat.

I will check.

That looks like F1 to F5.

Edited by EarlyBird

Are you building from a supplied plan or using a magazine plan with the kit?

I found that a magazine plan for the Tony Nijhuis Mosquito was quite different from the pukka plan supplied with a kit of laser cut parts. 

It’s really something to query with the supplier if this isn’t the answer - in theory the CNC files used for cutting should align properly with the plan!

I started with F1, F2, F6 and F7 glued at right angles to the one side.

Then when dried I placed the second side on top glued and weighted down.

When died this is lifted off the board and the tail pulled together and the smaller formers fitted.

By marking the former position on the inside of both sides you know where they fit. 

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Before you glue F1 and F2 they need modifying for ventilation and battery tray.

Thanks for the heads up EB, I’m stuck without glueing anything right now, waiting for some more bits and bobs to arrive. We do have a large enough cut out in F2 for the battery, agreed something to secure the battery is required, I’ll have to have think about ventilation.

With regard to the formers at right angles.

I lay one side down,glue on the formers and leave to dry. Then add the second side. 

You assemble the two fuselage sides with the formers that are the same width, i.e. back as far as F-5 when dry pull in the sides at the rear and add the remaining formers on the marks on each side/

For the battery mount  etc  have a look at the plan shown in the Hound Dog build

1 hour ago, Steve Goodwin said:

I am going to use standoffs with blind nuts epoxied into F1, I figured this would be more secure

Lucas did it that way.

On 30/03/2016 at 08:25, Lucas Hofman said:

This is the first wooden cowl I make (actually the first cowl at all). Difficult to get anything positioned between spinner ring and firewall, so I stopped when the first bit was in place:

/sites/3/images/member_albums/110405/664449.jpg

When this is dry I have something more solid to position the sides on.

It worked well. He addressed the issue of the model being tail heavy by having built up tail surfaces along with lightening holes all over.  

I did not use standoffs, I built a box, and used solid tail surfaces my solution for tail heavy was to use a 4S 4000 battery and 40g of lead in the cowl.