Sourcing prop shaft inserts

Adrian Smith 1

Silly question. As somebody embarking on a motorised glider project after years of fixed wing stuff, I have selected a recommended motor with a 4mm shaft. Now I have in stock a suitable 11x7 Graupner folding propellor assembly from way back when which looks like it has a 5mm hole in the back plate, but I am not sure. Until I receive the motor to test it I won't know for sure so my question is if the fit is not right am I able to buy a suitable insert that will fit and where would I get it? I know I can buy another folding prop by JP with a 4mm hole, but that means spend another £20! Any suggestions. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Silly question. As somebody embarking on a motorised glider project after years of fixed wing stuff, I have selected a recommended motor with a 4mm shaft. Now I have in stock a suitable 11x7 Graupner folding propellor assembly from way back when which looks like it has a 5mm hole in the back plate, but I am not sure. Until I receive the motor to test it I won't know for sure so my question is if the fit is not right am I able to buy a suitable insert that will fit and where would I get it? I know I can buy another folding prop by JP with a 4mm hole, but that means spend another £20! Any suggestions. Thanks.

Depends upon the design of the spinner, how it is attached to the backplate and how long the threaded portion needs to be to be able to take the prop yoke and nut.

If the spinner is attached to the backplate with 2 screws, one on each side it's easier to find a driver:

Prop drivers

If it is attached to the backplate with a single screw through the centre its a bit more difficult. You may have to bite the bullet and go for a new spinner prop driver and yoke:

Spinners etc

What motor have you ordered?

https://www.overlander.co.uk/rc-motors/3536-08-1050kv-tornado-thumper-v3-brushless-outrunner-rc-motor.html

Hi Shaun, the link is above for the motor. It's requires a 38mm spinner with 4mm shaft. 

I am trying to find a picture of the Graupner prop assembly I have, but it's probably not produced now.

the spinner is attached to the back plate with two screws through the prop blades and another screw through the hub into the driver. 

The JP assembly I might have to plump for I will find a link.

9 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

https://www.overlander.co.uk/rc-motors/3536-08-1050kv-tornado-thumper-v3-brushless-outrunner-rc-motor.html

Hi Shaun, the link is above for the motor. It's requires a 38mm spinner with 4mm shaft. 

I am trying to find a picture of the Graupner prop assembly I have, but it's probably not produced now.

the spinner is attached to the back plate with two screws through the prop blades and another screw through the hub into the driver. 

The JP assembly I might have to plump for I will find a link.

What battery do you propose to use, 2S, 3S or 4S?

14 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

https://www.gliders.uk.com/ASK-21-Scale-Electric-Glider-KLW-Version-26m-Fibreglass/productinfo/FF-B018-E/  the recommendation for this is a 4S 2200 mAh  which is what I am aiming at.

OK, there's an error on the page, the 3S prop should be 11x7, the 4S should be a 10x6. I have run the numbers through eCalc and I reckon that a 4S battery with an 11x7 will pull between 40 and 45 amps which is beyond the max for the motor. Run it on a 3S and it should draw around 30 amps which would be OK, drop it to 10x6 with a 4S and it should draw between 30 and 35 amps which would be fine too. The 4S option gives a thrust:weight ratio of around 1.2:1, the 3S around 1:1. These figures are at WOT of course.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Shaun Walsh

Here are a few picture of the Graupner prop assembly. I was able to slot an M5 bolt in the hole which was a snug fit. An M4 was too small therefore I assume the motor shaft needs to be 5mm? The length of the insert appears to be 28mm so I guess a 26mm would fit. The diameter of the insert appears to be 9.9mm which puzzles me because the JP ones for a 4mm shaft are listed as M8. I am easily confused which is why I will probably buy a new assembly, but I don't like wasting stuff if it can be used!

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG