Ashbourne Scale Day 2021

On 14/09/2021 at 23:15, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Strict on 82db CJ ?

We aren't too strict on noise, any models that aren't deemed quiet enough will be asked to reduce throttle settings, change prop or just fly in the right places. Don't worry unless you know it makes a racket!! We won't have a db monitor on site. Some models that meet the 82db seem far noisier than some that don't. Perceived noise is the key.

It's filling up nicely, cheers folks, Ian.

• Like 1

Hi all

Many apologies on lack of contact but I took myself and the good lady off grid for a week on Anglesey for peace quiet and no tecc

so back now

try to answer some questions , yes there is a Facebook page Ian set it up I will have a looksee and find it in a mo

long range weather is suggesting good so fingers crossed, goats sacrificed or whatever we should be good to go

for those of you new to our little do a decision will be made last thing Friday before (15th) as to if event is a go or not so please monitor here and or Facebook, in the event of postponing it will be rescheduled on a later weekend, we don’t panic we have held them in November before now,

chris

• Like 1

Ok peeps

we are GO go go to quote sir Murray 

gates will be open from 8am but unless you are keen to help set up 8:30 onwards is good

for anyon not been before DE6 1LR is the closest postcode this will take yo fight past the site entrance which once you enter Ladyhole Lane  yes really of the main derby ashbourne road is less tha half a mile on your left and will be manned until 10 am at least

any problems call me on 07971669901 and I will open up for you 

there’s plenty of space and breakfast will be on from 9 ish

do bring a warm coat as even given the temp on weather forecast Ashbourne airfield was the highest raf station in uk I believe

see you all Sunday I will check for any problems weather wise that may sneak up but not anticipating any

chris

• Like 1

I know but it is a lottery weather wise this time of year it’s showing dry in the afternoon and showers poss in the am

bur we know that Ashbourne has its own micro climate at times

long range weather is showing the poss of some cold winters fronts heading our way and from experience you don’t want to be on that airfield when the mercury heads towards zero 

there’s plenty of food and mates to chat with bring yer hats brollies and tarps and a good day will be had I’m sure

• Like 2

Well now

home at last, many many thanks yo all you brave souls who turned up for our event, it was wall to wall grey and wet to start but that led to about a 90 min delay to start so all was chaat and breakfasts until 11 30 and flying began on a grey but flat calm day that I am sure was enjoyed by all

as we said this I likely to be the last scale day at Ashbourne but news only arrived today that may save site for another year but lots of pieces to fit together for that to happen

if it was the last I cannot think of a better bunch of people to spend a day with

major thanks as always to cheffy John who has fed us at these events for some 10 years or so

again many many thanks for taking a chance and travelling some distance to be there

from Cardiff to Northamptonshire everywhere in between

chris, Ian and john

Edited by ceejay

26 minutes ago, Nick Somerville said:

Stunning Waco! Any details?

It's scratch-built from plans drawn by Derek Martin (one-time secretary/chairman of RR (Hucknall MFC) from the full-size drawings to third scale (10' ws).  Derek built the fuselage and the current owner Geoff (annoyingly I've forgotten his surname) built the wings and they generally shared the rest of the construction.  It's powered by a Moki 250cc radial engine (7 cylinders?) and is absolutely gorgeous.

Derek was the first person to help me fly my Precedent Electrafly back in 1993ish and designed, built and flew many models.  Sadly, I learned today that he didn't get to see the Waco fly as he died in February but he's noted as the pilot of the Waco by the cockpit.

I'm sure someone will be along with more details.  For me, it was certainly the star of the fly-in.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff S
spelling!
  • Like 2

I would like to thank all the those who contributed to an excellent Scale Day.

Drizzle and fog, like only Ashbourne can produce, in the early morning but it did as promised slowly clear up and the wind never seemed to reach the forecast figures either so even my lightweights could fly without difficulty.

Many spectacular scale types there as usual. You really can't beat the sound of a 5 cylinder Moki.?

The dual aerobatics between a Pup and a DVII made a spectacular demonstration.

The food was excellent too. 

Lets all hope the club can sort out the access issues so they can keep flying at the field.

Many thanks again.

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Like 2