SMS Opto Isolators.

Hi John,

I’m not sure if this might be any sort of clue or not, but in the past I’ve been involved in a couple of instances where there has been severe interference from the petrol engine’s CD unit on 2.4. In both cases it was the close proximity of the two batteries, ignition and radio, and in particular the two pairs of cables running partly side by side; when they were separated the interference completely disappeared.

Something I’ve not tried but how about a cloaking device, wrapping the batts and cables in tin foil or similar complete with a common connection to a negative; and commoning the two negative poles together at the same time might help too. 

Of course the simple answer might just be the opto isolator but it did seem to me to be that rather than a signal interruption type of fault it was a power problem caused by the string of inductive bumps on the radio power supply each time the capacitor was being charged up. But that really was purely speculative thinking on my part, we didn’t actually for test any of this.

I suspect that like 35MHz PCM radio, any 2.4 radio signal interference would not be able to get into through the radio and into the servos, in the event of total swamping the radio would just stop working and any failsafes activated would operate.  

Good luck.

PB