You wait 40 years then 3 come all at once!

PWLT

A quick post to share the 3 projects I've been working on recently, or rather most of the last 12 months.  I have been away from the hobby for far too long!  

1. The largest of the 3 is a Castle Models "Hercules", designed originally as an 35mm SLR camera ship or glider tug. It lived in an attic for 40 years until I completely rebuilt and recovered it during lockdown 1. Thanks to Peter Miller for identifying it and sharing his original review in RCM&E. It was built from foam covered veneer which had completely delaminated over the years. As such, I reskinned it and covered it in Deluxe Materials glass cloth and D.M Eze Kote. 
  2. Also occupying the same attic space for 40 years was this Cambria Instructor, the smaller of the 3 planes. 15 year old me only partly completed it, so 4 decades later, it was about time to finish it. Traditional balsa and ply fuselage and foam core wings. The fuselage and tail surfaces are covered in doped on Diatex (from SkyCraft) and the wings are covered in glass cloth with Easy Composites laminating epoxy. 
  3. Last but not least is a new SLEC Sky 40. Fully built up wings with balsa and ply fuselage. Probably the most satisfying build, as I have learned I'm not a fan of foam. I followed Guðjón Ólafsson's Sky 40 build log on YouTube as it was extremely helpful. 

All three are brush painted in KlassKote epoxy paint from Fighter Aces who could not have been more helpful. Since all three are glow fuel IC powered I didn't want to worry about fuel proofing and this paint system seems to fit the bill 100%. It's a delight to work with and all three models were completed with just one 1/2 pint can of red and one 1/2 pint can of white. A little goes a long way! 

These models were meant to be learning exercises where I've tried to bring myself up to date, but all I seem to have done is to decide I still love the smell of cellulose dope and thinners! 

As such, my next project will also be fully built up balsa, doped on Diatex and then spray painted KlassKote. No prizes for guessing what that will be, all you have to do is look at the paint scheme I have been practising to know what it is! All being well, it will be started next week and I can't wait to start. 

Last but not least, a massive thanks to the Tadcaster Model Flying Club for all the help and advice getting these models back in/to the flying condition, not to mention teaching me to fly again! 

Regards to all......

IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

• Like 5