Old Warden 18th & 19th September

kc

Another Old Warden model event is scheduled for 18 -19th Sept 2021 some details are on the ModelAir website.

Weather seems promising for this weekend and I intend to go.......

I noted a couple of things from the last ModelAir event in July -

1.  BMFA members got a fiver off the entry price.   Perhaps it will be the same this time - i must remember my BMFA card!

2.   I needed a contactless way of paying at the gate.

3.  There was a new entrance road which meant turning left at a roundabout just before the airfield and then a right turn into the new part of Shuttleworth.  Well signposted but seems a bit further.

4. The new RC flight area was a long walk or short drive from the hangers etc.

Edited by kc

If it helps, the attached pdf shows the new entrance into Shuttleworth. It is the green arrow that is to be used. It is clearly signposted and the entrance itself has several large flags flying. For sat. navs. postcode SG18 9DX will take you close but not to the actual entrance. What3Words location is Irrigated.Nuggets.Training.

If you are coming from the A1 direction the new entrance is a little bit closer than the old ones; if coming from Bedford it's a bit further.

Brian.

New road access arrangements.pdf

On 15/09/2021 at 10:20, Engine Doctor said:

Does this require the plastic BMFA card or will your down loadable BMFA documents suffice ? Not happy with using the BMFA card as its a lot of faffing about plus the first year it took ages to arrive anyway !

The "cut out card" at the bottom of the downloaded BMFA membership certificate is all the proof I have ever used and works fine.

I also keep a copy of the membership certificate on my phone.

Dick

I reckon just the downloaded paper copy should be sufficient - in July I didn't actually have to show it, just said I was a BMFA member.   Of course your BMFA copy should be signed anyway and name would be the same as your contactless credit card so nobody could cheat.   ( shame on anyone who would cheat a charity especially Shuttleworth )

Another point is to decide which section you wish to watch first - they ask you  RC, Free Flight, trade stands etc and give you a label so you get sent to the correct car park.  Very different to previous years - there is quite a long walk from RC to the hangers!

For anyone who hasn't been to Old Warden before - make sure you visit the hangers and especially go out via the side door in the shop and into the Maintenance Hanger where they have planes in various stages of repair etc.   A bit difficult to find that bit but worthwhile.   And a trek across to the free flighters is worthwhile it's a different world to RC- just be alert for models flying anywhere.   I have to say that free flighters don't have the same attitude to safety that RCers do - the planes are lighter I suppose but they just launch them anywhere.  

Also remember the Swiss Garden is adjacent ( and free I think )   - I expect my wife will go there if she comes with me.   ( she said last time the noise of control line spoilt the gardens a bit!)

I was at OW yesterday evening (I'm a member of the model flying club based there) and I noticed that there are ample yellow road signs pointing to the correct (new) entrance from all main directions. Amusingly, all of the 'AA' labelled signs have the name of the event mis-quoted as "Festival of Light" (not Flight).... perhaps somebody has seen the light....

I have just bought my ticket for Saturday online, you just click on the relevant box if you are entitled to a discount (BMFA, SVAS etc). Once you have paid you will get a pdf via e-mail to print and show on entry. I did this last time and there was no need to get out of my car to queue up, just show the printed off pdf to the attendant. I guess just showing the pdf on your phone will also be ok if you don't have a printer.

Please note that if you decide to pay on the day, they are only accepting electronic contactless payments and no cash, which caused some problems last time for some as the payment machines had technical issues apparently. The same payment methods also apply to the cafe and outside food and drink cabins.

Obviously the individual traders, bring-and-buy sellers etc. will accept cash as normal.

Brian.

The weather forecast ( just now ) for Old Warden suggests Saturday will be dry whilst Sunday has rain forecast after 3pm.    The wind seems less on Sunday though while Saturday has 9mph wind.....

I will go Saturday which might allow me flying at my own club on Sunday morning.

I think it's a shame that this forum doesnt have a badge or something so that one could recognise a fellow forum member when attending events.   I might be standing next to one of you and not know it! 

• Like 1

I was intending to go yesterday but the weather made it a pointless trip. I had all my models ready but opening the door to load the car revealed rain, and that was the end of that. 

A friend did go and he reported that it was pretty poor all round so that was a bit sad to hear

Don't let Jon's friends comment put you off going next time!    Of course none of the shows now are as well supported by trade stands as back in the 80's &90's but Saturdays Old Warden was well worth going to.    Lots of stands selling secondhand plane stuff - plenty of engines and secondhand planes.   Als Hobbies had a stand selling mainly old stuff but some new Rx, servos etc etc.  

I reckon any model show should have a good balsa supplier attending and this would probably draw in extra visitors.   Someone had a few sheets of balsa on a stand so it's not correct to say you couldn't buy balsa but a stand selling a full range of balsa is really needed.

But you go to Old Warden to see the flying of all types - control line, free flight, RC and this time Fun Fly with a separate flight line - 4 flight lines!   And of course the Shuttleworth planes in the hangers.   I went on Saturday and was somewhat disappointed to find several hangers devoid of planes but hired out to for  wedding!   To my mind it's entirely wrong to deprive the paying  customers of some of the usual exhibits and sell the space to a wedding party!    Shuttleworth visitors then become secondclass visitors.    But as I said don't let that put you off going next time -it's still a unique place.