E-Flite Radian Fuselage Repairs

Following a slightly heavy landing I have noted a partial fracture in the front end of the foam fuselage. The Handbook states that the fuselage is constructed of Z Foam and gives the impression that repairs may be done with "Cyano, hot glues and Epoxy"..no mention of making sure that foam friendly Cyano only is to be used? The handbook does advise against the use of cyano 'kickers'.

Please can any fellow Foamy fliers tell me if Z Foam is OK with a standard Cyano adhesive?

Thanks

SW

I would try a drop of cyano on an inconspicuous part and see what happens. I have repaired my old Radian fuselage with aliphatic glue which seemed to work OK and other club members have used Gorilla glue. The join towards the tail end of the fuselage appears to be glued together with something like No More Nails. You can still get replacement fuselages for about £35 if the damage is too bad.

• Thanks 1

When I tip stalled my MPX Heron into the ground, it completely broke the whole nose off. I used Gorilla glue, the brown stuff that activates with a little moisture and foams up. This gave me the time I needed to accurately fit it back together before the glue dried. Now because it foams up it can push parts apart so I pinned it all together to hold it in place, and the expanding foam also fills in any little holes there may be in the foam too. Three years later and it's still flying lovely.

I rarely use cyano on foam, preferring to use either the Gorilla glue or UHU POR, which is also brilliant for any kind of foam. 

• Thanks 1

Just adding to the content regarding the repair of Foam constructed models: Following some experimenting with a limited number of products I can also suggest Delux Materials "Super Phatic" adhesive works on Z Foam & very efficiently. It allows 15-20 minutes to position and 'clamp' the parts together before beginning to set. The product is recommended by Deluxfor a wide range of materials used in models and includes foam. Costs about £5.60