Rhapsody

EarlyBird

9 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I think that you will love Rhapsody. 

Reinforce the former with the U/C attached and only use ONE piece of wire for the U/C leg.  Mine came loose in the end.

I am sure I will love it Peter. I have been thinking about it for a while, no knee jerk decisions from me, on Wednesday I was at the field with Ballerina and Swizzle Stick and along came a mate with a Peggy Sue, which could have been thirty years old. Fully aerobatic it certainly is 'not much point otherwise' I think you say. That impressive demonstration made my mind up, it was IC of course, as usual I will go the modern electric route, just to add interest to the build.  Also with a bit more build practice I will tackle Destiny one day, just for a bit of planking practice.

More fun to come.?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The plan has arrived. ?

Oh no apple cheeks no problem after the RF-4.?

First glance and there are some changes to make.

1. Electric.
  2. Wing servos.
  3. Tailwheel.
  4. Pull pull rudder, maybe.
  5. Updated U/C.

Probably more but that's for the future.

First I have to order the strip wood.

Did they supply a copy of the article with the plans?

Rhapsody was in Aviation Modeller International June 2005 and possibly the second part of the plan in the next issue.   I don't have that mag but I see there is one for sale.

17 minutes ago, kc said:

Did they supply a copy of the article with the plans?

No article with the plan.

This is going to be a very interesting build with elliptical wings, apple cheeks, planking and the changes for electric. More interesting than I expected anyway.?

I am wondering how many Rhapsody builders are out there to help.

Anyone done a strip wood list for this model?

There is a copy of AMI June 2005 on eBay if you need the article.

I estimate wood required by getting a 36 inch strip and trying it against each horizontal item for each thickness.   Just count the number of strips and allow for 2 sides and any on top and bottom.   Decide if there is enough waste on each length to form the diagonals.   If not enough waste just hold the strip against each diagonal & upright and move finger down to see how many come from a 36 inch length, and count.   Allow some extra strips too of course.   By cutting all long parts first it gives waste that usually provides most of the uprights. 

Same with sheet - try a 4 inch by 36 sheet against sheet parts and count how many sheets needed.

Buying or making a strip cutting gadget will save lots of money on a built up strip model.

• Thanks 1

I keep opening the plan and having a think about the position of F1, battery location and the undercarriage. For the UC I have a fibreglass one that will be the right size but there is a complication in that the bottom of the fuselage is not flat, more to think about. Similarly I also thought about using the same system as on The OHmen but again a flat bottom to the fuselage is required. ? a sketch is required. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I am the first to build this then, apart from Peter obviously.

The building board has been empty for a few days ☹️

Not any longer ? opened the box.

IMG_20211111_084258.thumb.jpg.82ab6e0a5dd71feec744f9e61aecd939.jpg

and made a start.

IMG_20211111_084214.thumb.jpg.53bf14604bc5532a9010582f06fab988.jpg

The ply parts come completely cut out in a bag, I wonder if they also to jigsaw puzzles, makes it easier.

The plan has only one straight line, the spar, and it's big. This is going to be interesting.

First thoughts are what to change, will I ever learn?.?

Wing servos as usual, nothing controversial so far.

I fell in love with a Ballerina looking at this she may become an old flame.

Yesterday's build.

IMG_20211112_101844_1.thumb.jpg.3f712d200930792c2e3d5058dda118e7.jpg

and today has seen a bit of progress.

IMG_20211112_201046.thumb.jpg.3094ea98d6ee62c00039696cd6370b85.jpg

Shear webs glued in place, in the top picture they are loose and being used to keep the ribs vertical.

Aileron built up and R1 glued in place. The plan is to cut the rear half off then fit the dihedral brace, I remembered to cut the slots in R2this time.

Ready for the washout wedges to be fitted then turn the board around pull up the sheeting fit LE then top sheet. 

Interesting build with pleasing shapes. What has been a pleasant surprise is how little trimming has been needed to make the parts fit.

More fun to come.?

Does it really matter if there is not  a lot of interest?

What really matters is: Do you like the model?  Do you enjoy building it? Do you enjoy flying it?

If the answer to those questions is "YES"  why worry about what other people think.

I design and build what I want and if others like it, Great!. If not I am happy with it and that is what matters to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

If the answer to those questions is "YES"  why worry about what other people think.

The answers are all YES my thinking is simply that if there is no interest there's no point in posting, posting does take time and effort.

?? I will keep calm and carry on.

• Like 1