Rhapsody

EarlyBird

It's always worth viewing all these builds even if one is not going to build that actual model - I always learn something.

And by posting you always get opinions and comments from others that you can disregard if you want!   I am going to be the Devils Advocate and ask the awkward question  - isn't it too late for the washout wedges if you have already glued the ribs in?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan M said:

How much washout, and where's it measured (on a curving wing-tip that is)?

That's a very good question. There are two wedges one at each end of the aileron. The washout at the tip is not obvious whereas at mid wing it is obviously there.

The two wedges can be seen under the blue battery and next to the sanding block.

IMG_20211113_193102.jpg.9207099e15e39f00861f90c8060d0b30.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't realise there were six.

Adding more bits starting with cap strips on the bottom.

IMG_20211117_112800.thumb.jpg.661a535b74b120b8acad352a3f0fa6b4.jpg

and made a start on the top.

IMG_20211117_112705.thumb.jpg.b287da83c14fc7a793b42a68bbf311e1.jpg

so far no issues. It's taking time as all the parts have to be made and fitted individually which is challenging but adds interest and fun.

Next will be building up the ailerons followed by wing tip.

Very attractive, both models I mean ?

Capping almost done.

IMG_20211119_082147.thumb.jpg.c39ccfabd9c4767a25d633f80b5f7225.jpg

I find that trying for perfection takes time but does add to the interest.

A couple of bits missing apart from them there is also the wing tip, servo plate and servo horn mounting plate all need a bit of thought as they are not to plan. 

I could put this wing to one side and start the second wing then I will make progress while I think.

Matthew, did Doolittle supply the article with the Jolene plan?    It was in Aviation Modeller Int  August 2001 and copies are available here but it isn't the free plan.

This model is described as 60 inch span yet it has only a .20 or .25 size engine, so I have always wondered whether it's really 60 inch span.

Doolittle say 60" was a mistake it is 49".

Jolene Plan96 49″ wingspan

On May 14, 2013 By admin
Low-wing sports aerobatic design for 4-function radio systems, featuring simple fuselage structure and constant-chord wing. 49″ (wingspan design suits .25-.30 size motors. First Appeared in: Aviation Modeller International – August 2001 (in the article the model is described as 60″ but this was an error and it is 49″) Edited by EarlyBird