Rhapsody

EarlyBird

Ha well since you've mentioned it  @kc @EarlyBird it's 49" as I discovered. I bought 2 plans one 60" (Jolene) and another 48" ish. Both arrived, rolled them out on the floor side by side. Thought to myself hmmm that's a funny looking 60". Got on the phone to doolittle, who went off scratched their heads. Next thing I know I'd been refunded. So it is indeed 49" not 60" as the plan and article states @Peter Miller must of had a few too many one night. Regardless I'm still building it, looks a nice model. @kc I have the mag if you need a copy of the article? It's a good read, very comprehensive. 

10 hours ago, Matthew Dixon said:

@Peter Miller must of had a few too many one night. Regardless I'm still building it, looks a nice model. @kc I have the mag if you need a copy of the article? It's a good read, very comprehensive. 

It was a nice model. I do make mistakes but not THAT bad.  Anyway, I never start on the whisky until I have finished writing, drawing or building.especially that last as it is not a good idea to use a scalpel while seeing double!!!

I am getting parts ready for the second wing. Here I have laid out LE and bottom spar with the dihedral brace in the plan position, this now becomes my build reference line.

IMG_20211120_093634.thumb.jpg.71f349551770a4d20831623982e1e6c2.jpg

The first wing is butted up so the TE can be fixed to match. Obviously I did this on the first wing with the TE on the plan lines here there is a gap also there is a slight angle with R1. On previous builds I have worked to the plan and ended up trimming a TE to match. I have come to the conclusion that plans are not accurate to the mm as they seem to stretch along the long edge and shrink along the short edge. One question in the back of my mind is are the cut parts accurate, if they are then I would use the cut parts and adjust they layout to match them. Being forewarned this time we will see what happens.

The next step is to make adjustments to get rid of the very slight angle before getting the glue out. 

Matthew - I will bet you that it wasn't Peter's fault the wingspan is incorrect!   I reckon it happened after he submitted the plan and someone else misread 50 as 60!    Perhaps you could put some build photos on a new thread with Jolene in the title when the build is started.   It's  a design that is little known but seems very worthwhile for anyone wanting an ic plan.    

Peter I have trial fitted the wings together but the instructions say 9/16" under the propped wing with the other flat. However if I set the dihedral for the brace to fit it gives 2". ? Assuming 9/16" is correct then I can cut the brace to suit but I thought it best to check. 

Wing joint test fitted with 2" under the propped wing which gives a good joint and perfect fit of the dihedral brace.

Added bottom cap strips then worked on the aileron.

IMG_20211127_080158.thumb.jpg.bc76ea72ba57c2b85a1074923c79c06e.jpg

Ply control horn and scrap balsa hinge bits added. 

I have decided to complete as much as possible before joining the wings while intermittently working on the leading edges.

Final test fit of the wing join.

IMG_20211128_183653.thumb.jpg.82f99d3df727d951fdadd35a897a49db.jpg

LE and wing tip are shaped and top sheet cut ready.

Glue it tomorrow and finish the first aileron, that's plan B plan A was to go flying but changed my mind, no wind but max temperature of 3 and probably a wind chill of -5. Too cold even for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I follow the 10-10 rule.  Wind below  10 MPH  Temperature above 10 degrees

I agree generally but I have flown when the temperature was below 0 deg C quite comfortably when there was no wind and very low humidity.  It's quite rare in the UK, though.