Paw 1.49 glow . Anyone had or run one ?

Engine Doctor

I've just been given an old badly gummed PAW 149 glow, might be a 19.  Has anyone owned or used  or any experience of one ? The reason I ask is that on an old rc universe thread they said that they weren't very good or powerful. This one has what I think is rather low compression ratio compared to similar sized modern glow engines. I was considering making a glow plug mount that increases the comp ratio slightly . 

This does look like a factory made job but they are not very common and only made for a short run some years ago.

Any info appreciated.

Edited by Engine Doctor

11 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Correction the PAW is a 2.49 , must have been on auto pilot when posting ?.  Anyone had one or run one?

I've got a second hand 2.49 (with RC throttle) in a 56" Murg.

In common with my new PAW .09, the included muffler makes it tricky to start, as I can't directly prime it through the exhaust port. The consequence is that I tend to over-prime through the carb, and then it floods!

Neither engine is particularly user-friend, in my unqualified opinion.

On the other hand, I also have an unmuffled 2.49, which starts very readily on the bench.

I hope this helps!

Tim

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Is the tank a bit high ?

A drop or two of fuel from a priming bottle or draw from tank by placing a finger over the Venturi and turning over engine a couple of times...

A good flick technique will get a good paw going without much problem but model needs to be held well to make a good flick...

Electric starter is a no no, not needed and not advisable.

Can that tank be laid on its side, or a different shape tank ?

6 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Is the tank a bit high ?

Can that tank be laid on its side, or a different shape tank ?

I have lowered the tank by 12mm since the photo was taken, but with no discernible difference in the engine's behaviour.

I know that PAW's have garnered a loyal and enthusiastic following over the decades, so maybe I've missed the boat.

Tim

7 hours ago, PatMc said:

Is this thread about a rare PAW glow motor or a bog standard diesel ?

The title mentions glow but Tim's is clearly a diesel. 

Ooops!  I mentally skipped the term 'glo' completely!  My apologies for the thread jack......

It's too late to delete my previous posts.

Tim?

Edited by Tim Hooper

It appears the glow version were available  from PAW but were not very successful and were only on the market for a short time

On the RC Universe site this post was made in 2004.

"The contra piston has obviously been omitted and in it's place is a top hat shaped collar sealed to the cylinder by 2 o-rings, this collar is tapped for the glow plug, it is held in place by the clamping action of the head which has a hole approx. 1/2" diameter in it for plug access."

Wow! Clearly this was a crude conversion using as many parts from the diesel as possible. I suspect it is remarkably rare!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Your correct in that its a diesel with the contra piston removed and plug button fitted , the same as the ED racer conversions of the 50's ..

Since getting the paw I have aso obtained an ED racer glow head with an original working KLG glow plug . Two more engines for my collection 

What do you mean by a plug button?

The fifties Racer glow just has a normal glow head, with the plug screwing normally into the head, like all glow engines.

The head descends a few mm into the cylinder, to compensate for the contra-piston. Where's the button? 

Hi brokenenglish . A plug button is an aluminium plug that is threaded to take the glow plug and fits into the cylinder to the required depth to get required completion. It has a thin shoulder that sits on top of the cylinder and the seal is made by two viton O rings. The existing cylinder head can then be bored out where the comp screw would have been to allow clearance for the glowplug. The head then clamps the button in place in the cylinder . The ED Racer design made it easier for this part to be incorporated into the head .  Buttons are used on manygliw engines and some include a built in glow plug like the Cox Conquest 15.7

When I said " the same as the ED Racer " I meant that the standard diesel cylinder would be used and not a specially made cylinder. Sorry for confusion.