Best product / way to glue down lifting covering film edges ?

conrad taggart

1 hour ago, conrad taggart said:

We don't know the circumstances under which it's being used.  They scoffed at Deluxe's offer to provide a replacement, but surely the first recourse would be the retailer if the particular product was defective?  Maybe consumer law is different in the Land of the Free to be ripped-off.

DLM was started and is run by a couple of industrial chemists, so I assume they know what they are about...

(I've no connection, BTW)

Will put some on order and give it a trial run first to make sure it goes off .... Leccyflyer does it cause problems when you come to recover over and above what you would normally expect.  Mike T don't think the problem was the cost of the product or it not working which was rather minor relative to  the subsequent problem and damage it  "did", hence their reaction.   

Edited by conrad taggart

I've no issues whatsover with Cover Grip - have used it to glue down lifting edges and on my spare E-Flite Mini Edge 540 used it to reattach the "sunburst" style trim film finish on the wing and tail surfaces, which had all curled up and come off due to being hung up for long term storage. I've definitely not had an issue with it failing to "go off" it dries to the desired tacky state in about 20-30 minutes. I wonder whether those having an issue slathered it on like mayonnaise and live in a climate with 90-100% relative humidity? 

• Thanks 1

Definitely the best film adhesive imo was Clearcote made by solarfilm but since its demise DM cover grip is the next best thing. It would be great if  DM could come upwith a Clearcote equivalent that was solvent based;not happening possibly due to our ott " can't do this , can't have that " woke health and safety regulations . 

The not drying issue could be caused by the presence of old adhesive as used on the self adhesive covering we experienced some years ago or some other contaminant. Certainly very high humidity would hinder the drying.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Clearcoat is still available direct from Solarfilm, you just have to collect it from them!

Judging by their website that is still working and dated 2021, you'd think that nothing had happened to the company if you were unaware of recent events. I doubt if they get many sales via collection from their premises - an odd situation - is the company kaput or not?

I’m a bit late on this one, but if it’s just the edge of the film lifting, I sometimes just smear PVA under the lifting edge, let it dry then iron the film down. You will have a bit of PVA residue to clean off the iron afterwards though! Disclaimer: I’ve only done this with gliders and electric models - oily applications may need additional fuel proofing.

11 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I bought some Solite and a few tins of Clearcoat from Andrew back in February. He said that they had plenty of Clearcoat in stock, although I don’t know how old the stock is!

The Clearcote doesn't go off with time providing tin is sealed properly. Even part full tins keep well  unlike some solvent based paints the clearcote doesn't seem to absorb water so tin doesn't go rusty and discolour the clearcote unlike dope etc.

On 23/09/2021 at 06:11, Jason Channing said:

Ora cover heat adhesive is very good and works better than cover grip solvent based and dries very quickly  this also works very well on contaminated surfaces etc . however its not cheap.

Like the idea of this as I have noticed the bit I have the most trouble covering is where the exhaust could dirty with fuel.  Couple of questions if i may ...

Does it work with a wide variety of covers or just their own ?  "Our liquid adhesives are an exact match to the adhesives used for our covering films. Accordingly, always choose the adhesive appropriate for the covering film you are using"

https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/oracover-heat-activated-iron-on-adhesive-0960-100ml-tin.html

Plus does anybody know what an appropriate thinner would be - hopefully not proprietary

"In case our adhesives have dried out a bit in an opened tin, you can restore the original viscosity by adding the appropriate thinner."

Hi-tec thinner for Balsaloc, Covergrip & PVA = any very expensive spring water or as a honorary Yorkshireman (that's a Scotsman with the generosity squeezed out ?)  - tap water. 

I to would be interested to hear if the German chemical industry's Oracover truly required something different or just marketing ?